Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 12:04:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: God bless grenade launchers  (Read 2673 times)

RCIX

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
God bless grenade launchers
« on: July 19, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »

First weapon i found that doesn't cause me to crumple like stiff paper/lose half my components when a death squad comes after me. :P

Also, what's supposed to be the tactic when i don't find one of these babies? Seems like stuff eventually comes for me and it won't ever stop chasing and fighting with conventional weapons is very dodgy :/

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: God bless grenade launchers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:22:26 PM »

Also, what's supposed to be the tactic when i don't find one of these babies? Seems like stuff eventually comes for me and it won't ever stop chasing and fighting with conventional weapons is very dodgy :/

That's a tough one.  In my experience I usually only make it to Level -6 or -5 without something explosive on hand.  There are a few alternative strategies to use if you don't find one handy:

• Use any and all cover you can at all times and use choke points (i.e. doorways, single space corridors, inbetween machinery) to limit how many hostiles can shoot you.  Hostiles also won't shoot if they don't have a direct line of fire, so try to keep service robots between you while you get to a better position.
  • Speed.  Speed is your friend.  Legs and treads are good for taking a few hits and protecting your Core, but if you don't have the firepower to back it up you need to run.  Upgrade to hovers or flying units when you can and you'll find you'll outrun most hostiles.  That said, you'll rarely find these items in large caches before Level -8 (you can still get them off swarmers, watchers and later on programmers).  Another last ditch option is to drop equipped gear including propulsion items until you're going at a fair speed (only do this if there are no options left and hope you find something useful around the next few corners)
  • Try equipping an ECM Suite just for fun and let me know it goes :)

Good luck!

RCIX

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »

Well, on the very run I found 2 grenade launchers, I also lost them because I ran out of matter and got pummeled, and actually got farther running away with flight units >.> That was fun in an "oh god why, someone save me and give me energy/matter" kind of way :P

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »

Speaking of, are there any non-annoying places to get flight units? Shooting Swarmers is downright painful, while blowing up Swarmers en masse with explosives damages the loot :(

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »

From what I've seen, switching to flight units is very possible when you find a cache of them or destroy a hauler with a bunch of them. You can also collect them in your inventory until you have enough to switch your build over.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »

Well, on the very run I found 2 grenade launchers, I also lost them because I ran out of matter and got pummeled, and actually got farther running away with flight units >.> That was fun in an "oh god why, someone save me and give me energy/matter" kind of way :P

Haha! I'm not surprised you ran out of matter :)  Using two grenade launchers, while totally awesome, will destroy most items and matter if you over use them (plus the launchers use a lot of matter anyway!).  Maybe three grenade launchers at once will help :)

Speaking of, are there any non-annoying places to get flight units? Shooting Swarmers is downright painful, while blowing up Swarmers en masse with explosives damages the loot :(

zxc has good advice. Haulers are a high-priority target for me and will often hold gear that is rated above what you would normally find on that level.

Another way to take out swarmers if you want their gear is to use choke points and limit their line of fire.