Cogmind > General Discussion

Two things i'm confused about/would like more info on [DSFs]

(1/2) > >>

R-26 Lightspeed:
-What's the point of going into a DSF as opposed to going to a branch? As far as i can see, DSFs are only useful temporarily : you can get some rare-ish items and some Authchips, but nearly every branch gives more permanent boosts, and the others have better/more stuff than DSFs, just no Authchips.

-How are you meant/is there a way to figure out the achievement Spoiler (click to show/hide)"Curiosity killed the cat"? It's one of my two remaining "event" achievements along with "The bigger they are".
I only learned what to do after looking at someone else (a beginner)'s achievements (i thought Steam would spoiler achievements i didn't have, but apparently not). I had already Spoiler (click to show/hide)waited a good amount of time in the Scrapyard in the past (and destroyed the neutral bots as they arrived), and left when no new units arrived for around three hundred turns.
Because of that, i there was nothing more, and never would've figured it out on my own, unless i missed a hint somewhere?(I haven't done the achievement yet, please don't spoil me on what happens.)

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: R-26 Lightspeed on April 24, 2022, 02:57:07 AM ----How are you meant/is there a way to figure out the achievement "Curiosity killed the cat"?

--- End quote ---
No, that one doesn't have any particular hints at the moment, just something a lot of people tended to eventually do before I was deciding what events to mark (or found out in the community, since it's right at the start of the game and a number of people tend to talk about it when starting out).

And DSFs might be useful for some people/builds/strategies, but definitely not most. Branches are usually a better option. I won't go into detail here, but maybe others will have input (I've seen people talking about/using them in the community, and it'll be interesting to get data from Beta 11 and share that).

R-26 Lightspeed:
I see, thank you.

Note : I now realise that i forgot to explicitly mention that the main reason i don't consider DSFs good options is because it's a coin flip whether their exits will lead to the next floor or not, and the resulting risk isn't worth the reward.

Kyzrati:
Yeah that's a valid concern, for sure. Lots to think about in terms of whether or not you'd want to go in! One interesting possibility is yet another alternative for comebacks--just earlier today someone was reporting having been all but destroyed on their current run, but jumped into a DSF on the new floor as a last resort and came out with a good build.

I think design-wise they add more variance to a run, which is why experienced players with a specific goal in mind will be more likely to avoid them except in special situations, but there can be a lot of other potential situations where it makes sense, or at the very least is a fun new option :)

Valguris:

--- Quote from: R-26 Lightspeed on April 24, 2022, 02:57:07 AM ----How are you meant/is there a way to figure out the achievement Spoiler (click to show/hide)"Curiosity killed the cat"?
--- End quote ---
For me it was trying to see if the bots build something interesting in the end. So I sat there watching the bots do their stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version