Cogmind > Stories

True flier pacifist + shutout

(1/1)

R-26 Lightspeed:
This was my first attempt at both "true flier" and "pacifist"(at least that i can remember), which is part of the reason i combined them. I began by wanting to get "true flier" and thought getting "pacifist" at the same time would be a good idea, since i imagined flight was great for stealth. (By the way, this was also my first flight run(that i can remember.))

-10 materials went somewhat poorly, i was spotted by hostiles very quickly and, despite knowing it didn't lead to the mines, took the first exit i saw, hoping the Exiles would be at -9. I did find some flight units though.
-9 materials, despite being chased by more bots, went somewhat better, as i found an exit to the mines.
-9 mines began very well : "something is scanning the area"! But before i found the path to the Exiles, i was spotted by swarmers! While searching for the exit, i found... A stash of uninstalled blade traps! With those, i was able to fend off my pursuers ("pacifically")! I later met another swarmer squad, and trapped them too. However, i wanted to keep the last few(1 or 2) traps for emergencies and so i didn't disable the last swarmer's fighting abilities. After that i ended up finding the exit to the Exiles. And they had a Cloak of Protection! Armed with Farcom, the best cloaking device and flight, the future was looking bright.
No notable things happened for a while(got to Zion, fabricated some VTOL modules in -6, then met Dataminer, all without any major difficulties.)
Thanks to Dataminer's schematics, i was able to fabricate an Exp. Cesium-ion Thruster in -5. I also found a propulsion array, either in -6 or in -5.

Spoilers for -5/-4 special cave branches, as well as some things in Research! Spoiler (click to show/hide)I then met Warlord, got an Exp. Cloaking Device from the prototype stash as well as a prototype hackware and left. Later i met Zhirov and got an Integrated Dissipator, which was great because i now had no problems with heat.
By the way, this seed had the most Warlord fortified checkpoints i ever saw : in all of the cave branches, i found a total of 6 Warlord checkpoints, and at least three? four? were fortified.

-3 was uneventful. (apart for getting a Behemoth hack from an annoying Tinkerer in the proxy caves)
Warlord's attack on -2 didn't go so well for him, i got some nice flight build gear from destroyed strikers/hunters and left once Warlord fell.
Time for -1! (spoilers for Access)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)After a while, i was able to find the exit to the surface (of course not before finding the other exit) through hacking, hacked one of the two behemoth guards(revenge for run 99), then went around and opened the hacker's entrance. At that point, i had already sealed 3 garrisons, and decided to get the shutout achievement, so i broke the barrier of the figher's entrance, hacked the other behemoth, found some more terminals, and got the location of the fourth and final garrison. I went to it from the north-west, but then my first extermination squad of the run was dispatched. I quickly recalled them, locking out a terminal in the process.
The resulting investigation was redirected, and i continued my trip to the garrison. I then triggered an alarm trap, and a nearby sentry began chasing me. There were too many hostiles close to my target at the moment, so i was kind of stuck in a room with that sentry closing in. Well, half-stuck. I blasted a hole in the wall, though not before taking my first damage of the floor. (flights seriously don't care.)
I chose another path to the garrison, this time i would come from the east. I found out that there was a behemoth guarding that garrison, so i came from the south instead. Finally, i got to the garrison and sealed it! ...That's weird, i didn't get the achievement. Maybe i have to wait a few turns? For now, i should plan my exit route.
So i began flying to the room next to the garrison, and... Got the achievement! ...Along with the bone-chilling sound of high/max security(max in this case). Right! i had figured out something like that would happen, and yet forgot about it.
No matter, "Flights don't care". I discarded my hackware, put on my best gear, and made a beeline to the exit, ignoring every hostile on the way there. (pretty easy when you have 94% avoidance(I know it caps at 90%) and a speed of 5 tiles per turn) They managed to deal a total of 251 damage(minus that sentry from earlier) before i escaped. Victory!

If i learned anything from that run, it's that "true flier" and "pacifist" aren't that good of a combo at the beginning, unless you have great luck (which i had). And also that i terribly underestimated flight builds. Seriously, it felt like easy mode. Actually, easier than that.

Seed : GhostParticleNanoactuators [10.2]
Scoresheet : https://cogmind-api.gridsagegames.com/scoresheets/Y47WLpxaaPzatdVXz

Kyzrati:
Yeah flight definitely has it easy when it comes to at least staying alive in most cases :P (w0 also being a relatively easy way to reliably reach the surface when you can hack the exits and zip by everything), though pacifist can be a pretty tough one due to other constraints! Funny that you got it with a little help from traps :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version