Cogmind > Stories

My first run

(1/1)

R-26 Lightspeed:
So recently my 100th run ended (related: the seed GodAutogunPick has a garbage -10 mines) and i thought i'd share my first ever run. (Scoresheet attached)
I also want to make a single "mistake log" in which i would recount mistakes in every run past the 100th, but i don't know which place would be best, does anyone know?

Anyway, my first run. It was on adventurer mode, and i got a lot of luck, so i ended up getting pretty far(-2), so there will be some "minor" spoilers (and also possibly major ones). You've been warned!
The first spoiler tag will be for "minor" spoilers, and the second one for major ones.

Nothing notable at the first floor, and i exited to the next one. Then the craziness begins : i entered the mines and at some point, i met Spoiler (click to show/hide)a derelict that gave me an exit to "a safe place"
I followed and arrived at Zion. I met A8 and a few other bots who gave me codes (deep caves, visual alteration) that i kept trying at different terminals throughout the rest of the run because i had no idea what i was supposed to do with them. I also imprinted.
After that, i left for proximity caves where me and my allies fought a behemoth, among other things. I got back to the factory alone, where i got 6 additional slots, confusing me on the next few runs (i though the reason for evolving so many slots was that "i had uncovered a bunch of story" because the game says "the reason for this evolution is part of the story to be uncovered").

(at some point in the main complex, there was an assault squad dispatch, which brought the tutorial derelict for those, which is where i got the backstab achievement by accidentally shooting them as soon as they appeared(i don't remember if i shot at them or if i killed them through a stray shot). I reloaded afterwards, which is why the achievement isn't in the log, but they never re-appeared, because they had technically "delivered their tutorial")

At some point in -6, i fell in a chute trap, but not only was the area "eerily silent", there was also a "frightened Derelict". I also found an apparently broken exp. sensor array.
After getting out, i got to the next floor, and then the next, before finally exiting into upper caves.

Nothing notable in the first, but in the second i completely missed the exit to research and ended up in a unaware outpost in which i used A8's code, which temporarily saved the run. I then exited to an empty cave with two enhanced grunts by my side, but thinking the cave looked a bit suspicious, ended up finding Zhirov and all the lore they had to offer. (except for the one thing concerning the Armory, which i somehow missed)
I used both alien artifacts as soon as i found them, which is why my core integrity went below 50% in there. After exiting to proxy caves, i lost both my allies, and fled in front of a behemoth.
Nothing notable in -3. In -2, i entered Quarantine, and i still had no idea what i was doing.
"major" spoiler time!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)In Quarantine, i found a few alien artifacts and ended up equipping the core reset matrix, before meeting the sigix warrior, which i was unable to free. I never actually got scanned by a researcher, by the way.
At some point, i wanted some Zion reinforcements but they were unable to send squads. It was actually the first time i had asked for a dispatch, because i thought they were limited.
At some other point, i saw something that looked important, so i went over there and discovered it was guarded by a robot i hadn't seen before.

I thought i could maybe take it on.
After a few shots, i finally damaged their core and saw FOUR HUNDRED NINETY CORE INTEGRITY?! "Nope", i fled past the Fortress and some assembled covered me as i fled, close to death. I ended up dying soon after in Section 7, what would turn out to be my "birthplace"(full loop!) and a place that's supposed to be a secret.

So that's the story of my first run, where i somehow stumbled my way through the world into Section 7 through sheer luck.

Kyzrati:
You can remember that much about your first run after a couple years and 100 runs have passed?! Impressive :)

Pretty insane to take a shortcut to Z on your very first run... and not die soon after, haha. That random option was indeed added less as a strategic one and more as a way to let new players experience some of the deeper more unexpected types of content the game has to offer (as a hook) before inevitably getting annihilated some time after that since it's a pretty overwhelming jump unless you're lucky.

Nice to survive Waste on your first run, too.

Usually takes people forever to figure out the deeper parts of the caves, but wow you got Zh here as well! (surviving an outpost on your first run is also something xD)

Too bad you couldn't take more advantage of Z help, but first run and all... (I imagine having the A8 code first might've impacted your perception of Z dispatches?)

Altogether quite an eventful first run!!!

--- Quote from: R-26 Lightspeed on November 20, 2021, 10:49:37 AM ---I also want to make a single "mistake log" in which i would recount mistakes in every run past the 100th, but i don't know which place would be best, does anyone know?

--- End quote ---
Hm, depends on the goal there, I guess, to share stories or more to cover strategy elements, in which case it could fit in the latter board, or if the former just slightly re-title this thread and continue it on that line, I'd say!

R-26 Lightspeed:

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on November 21, 2021, 05:03:09 PM ---(I imagine having the A8 code first might've impacted your perception of Z dispatches?)

--- End quote ---
Completely unrelated. I had no idea whether it was single use or not. I assumed Z dispatches were limited because Zion didn't seem that big, and they probably wouldn't send everyone.

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on November 21, 2021, 05:03:09 PM ---You can remember that much about your first run after a couple years and 100 runs have passed?! Impressive :)
--- End quote ---
Thanks? Some things like the broken exp. sensor array or just the entirety of the wastes i didn't remember in any way whatsoever, but the scoresheet was useful in that regard.
I remember most things because it was a very memorable run, even if i had no idea what i was doing.

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on November 21, 2021, 05:03:09 PM ---Usually takes people forever to figure out the deeper parts of the caves, but wow you got Zh here as well! (surviving an outpost on your first run is also something xD)

--- End quote ---
Just pure luck. I probably went past several hostile groups with no idea they were even there. Unless i had a sensor array with no signal identifier?
Anyway i'm much better with caves now, i pretty much do everything i can within them, (my exploration rate is usually around 95-99%) and i prefer them to the main complex. I probably spent more in-game time in caves than in the rest of the game, actually. And with the new thing to annotate locations i'm probably going to spend even time there.

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on November 21, 2021, 05:03:09 PM ---Hm, depends on the goal there, I guess, to share stories or more to cover strategy elements, in which case it could fit in the latter board, or if the former just slightly re-title this thread and continue it on that line, I'd say!

--- End quote ---
Neither? Both? It's just to make a list of mistakes like "Run 98 : Accidentally requested the wrong Z-dispatch, got "3: explosive resupply" instead of "5: Z-light(3)".". Something to remember previous runs and mistakes with and maybe also so others could avoid making the same dumb mistakes as me.

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: R-26 Lightspeed on November 22, 2021, 10:34:38 AM ---I probably spent more in-game time in caves than in the rest of the game, actually. And with the new thing to annotate locations i'm probably going to spend even time there.
--- End quote ---
Will be nice when there's even more stuff in there, too ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version