Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 05:28:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Inventory  (Read 2213 times)

E.I.G.

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Inventory
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »

So how has everyone been handling inventory juggling?

Personally I don't actually like having anything larger than a small storage unit. 4 slots seems to be enough to handle my standard kit; a power unit, a gun, a propulsion, and at least for the starting levels a matter storage for fabrication. The last two are what I would ditch if there is a better thing to hold onto instead. Generally I don't want to cart around much more than that. Two more slots from a small unit means that I have some more ability to keep nice guns or devices without as much risk of losing some if it is destroyed and with less weight. Also small units are on the basic recyclers so they should be easy to replace.

I do tend to favor getting new device slots and don't like having a lot of weapon slots. As a result having just one or two weapons is usually enough to fully rearm myself.

Power units are critical and seem to die fast so having one in pocket is a must.

Propulsion is something I like having a backup for, but mostly when using hover or flight as enemies don't commonly use those. I almost never bother carrying legs as the majority of combat units have those, so if I am losing parts I am also most likely fighting enemies that can replace legs.

Utility is where I don't really like holding onto stuff. I generally want whatever I have on to stay, and good stuff is variable. Usually there is a pile of good units, but to carry more than you can equip usually is only worthwhile if you already had an empty inventory slot. Also there is usually multiple kinds of useful utilities on a given floor, so there is a need to decide if you can afford to cart around one when another could be around the corner.

One thing I don't like doing is grabbing more from a stockpile of nice things than I can expect to use soon, especially for utilities. My reasoning is that once you have taken something out of the pile it is going to be a target for recyclers if you drop it. So I am at least thinking it is better to know where the stock is just in case than to fill the limited inventory space and risk not being able to get it.

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
Re: Inventory
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »

It depends entirely on the kind of run I'm doing.

Generally speaking, always match your storage unit to your propulsion. They're all rank 1 so they're easy to hack and cheap to fabricate.

Code: [Select]
Size  Mass  Storage Integrity
Sml.   4      2        150
Med.   7      4        250
Lrg.   10     6        350
Hcp.   12     8        400
If you can afford to, always go up. They're more efficient and they last longer before needing replaced. That said, never go above what you need for your intended speed.

Combat heavy runs I never give up my Hcp. Storage unit. I need those 6 spare miniguns.
Flight heavy runs I typically prefer Med Storage Units or nothing. Small isn't worth a slot.
Buildy runs I go with Hcp. just so I an hold all my matter storage units. 4 Hcp. Matter Storage units make mass production so much easier, though when travelling I only usually bring along 2.

Items in your inventory don't add to weigh so I pick up everything I see. I drop when I need to based on my build and ignore things that would be dropped anyways. Backtracking is death, let them recycle the parts.

If it's time to run I'll drop everything I'm carrying and pocket my power supply and propulsion. It'll keep them from harm and speed me up enough for an escape.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Re: Inventory
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »

and at least for the starting levels a matter storage for fabrication.

Hi

May I jump on that quote to ask you how often in the game you manage to scanalyze/use fabricator to replenish your inventory ? I just start, but I have to admit I skipped until then that part. A big part, I guess

Also small units are on the basic recyclers so they should be easy to replace.

I guess you're talking here about robots, not recycling unit ?