Cogmind > Stories

Pacifist win! [Extended-game Spoilers]

(1/4) > >>

Xii:
And my highest score so far, too. That's cool. Nonviolence and all. Figured pacifist win would be difficult, but honestly, war is hell. It's not that the combat game is harder per se, but I get so GOSH DARN BOGGED DOWN in combat! It's SLOW like molasses growing uphill in january! Got other things to do besides play Cogmind 24/7, which I've been doing for probably a month now xD

The Cloak of Protection I got from Exile definitely helped a lot. There were a few key, close slip-bys by the end. Then I found a bunch of good thrusters pretty early, which carried me long way. Visited Zion, somewhat underwhelming, but I did happen upon a nice makeshift transmission jammer and some hacking gear. After DM, things turned to eleventh gear very rapidly. I was able to fabricate experimental terrain scanning + processor. With FarCom, it's like map hacks xD

Grabbed warlord's stash for some sweet power and flight. Popped in at ZH's, but he wasn't home. Snagged his stuff. Research was eventful, but found the access exit right from the start, so didn't stick around to watch.

Then as I mapped out access, I had to consider this: do I go for the exit, or enter command? I've never been there before, mind you. Here's the thing though; having been looking at scores, especially bonuses, there might be something worthy in there. And lore, of course. Love me some lore. No chickening out now, cogmind!

Almost got a heart attack when I slashed open one of those pods full of dormant ARCs. Warlord's reinforcements, promptly following my letting them in, offered a brief distraction as I penetrated the main gate, tunneling past through a side wall. Having experimental terrain scanning provided a fantastically clear picture of the complex layout. Flew straight through MAIN.C and dug under the 100-strength blast doors with my trusty long sword and the cooled thrusters overload boost to damage. The reinforced barrier had toughness 70. The long sword swung for like 80. Found this odd wave machine thingy, didn't know what it was for, so smashed it in hopes of bonus points xD

For some reason, MAIN.C was convinced I was there to kill him, which was disappointing. I wanted to talk.

Cogmind is a very good game. I've played Dungeon Crawl plenty, and Cogmind fixes a lot of the frustrations I had with the former. As a fellow game developer, I salute you!

My only real gripe was this moment in S7 in another run, where the LRC armor and other item were blocked by an INDESTRUCTIBLE door. I swung at it SO many times while my Sigix buddy held off the assault, dealing well in range of the necessary damage, and it just wouldn't budge. Is it, indestructible? I realize that the nature of randomness dictates that I could've simply been excessively unlucky. But I need to know :)

Kyzrati:
Hehe, it's true that combat, while fun, does take a fair bit more learning and experience.

Still, any win is quite an accomplishment, nice job! Cloak of Protection is definitely a good piece of equipment for a pacifist run :)

I took a look at your score sheet and that's quite an epic journey for a pacifist! So many locations visited... Amazing that you even headed through Command, too.

--- Quote from: Xii on February 24, 2019, 06:57:16 PM ---Cogmind is a very good game. I've played Dungeon Crawl plenty, and Cogmind fixes a lot of the frustrations I had with the former. As a fellow game developer, I salute you!

--- End quote ---
Thanks! Just put over 10k hours into your projects and you'll be on the right track, haha xD

--- Quote from: Xii on February 24, 2019, 06:57:16 PM ---My only real gripe was this moment in S7 in another run, where the LRC armor and other item were blocked by an INDESTRUCTIBLE door. I swung at it SO many times while my Sigix buddy held off the assault, dealing well in range of the necessary damage, and it just wouldn't budge. Is it, indestructible? I realize that the nature of randomness dictates that I could've simply been excessively unlucky. But I need to know :)

--- End quote ---
There is almost nothing indestructible in Cogmind. There are only two places indestructibility comes into play, the Deep Caves and the new Exiles Vault, and no matter what you're trying to attack/destroy, you can always open its info and see whether it's destructible or how much armor it has compared to what you're capable of (don't forget to check resistances as well!). Terrain that is indestructible (in the two places I mentioned) indicates this instead of having an armor value.

In the end, with the right tools you can break through pretty much anything.

muxecoid:
I remember some streamer shooting EM weapons at the door control terminal. Does it still work?

Also exiles having technology to build indestructible wall is impressive. There should be a lore entry about it in one of the terminals.

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: muxecoid on March 04, 2019, 07:56:00 AM ---I remember some streamer shooting EM weapons at the door control terminal. Does it still work?

--- End quote ---
Maybe :)

--- Quote from: muxecoid on March 04, 2019, 07:56:00 AM ---Also exiles having technology to build indestructible wall is impressive. There should be a lore entry about it in one of the terminals.

--- End quote ---
It can seem rather special, but this characteristic isn't merged with the lore anywhere (technically it was added as a pure gameplay element). It could be far in the future, but it's hard to say where and how this characteristic might be applied to future expansions, so as a minor thing it's not really worth adding now.

Xii:
How is the Pacifist bonus score calculated? In my first pacifist run, I got 12098 points for pacifist. In another, 11583. In my latest one however (attached), only 200 ?? How does that make any sense??  :o

Wait... "Combat Hostiles Destroyed  3 ... AOE 1" Is that why? What is this? I fired not a single shot the entire game! Does Trojan(Detonate) count as kills?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version