Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 07:43:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [SPOILER] Unexplained Lore  (Read 3572 times)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
[SPOILER] Unexplained Lore
« on: August 09, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »

Here's a list of lore entries that are a bit of a mystery to me, based on my current understanding. I haven't collected all the lore entries, so it's possible that some of them have already been explained. If that's the case, please let us know (with spoiler tag)!

Obviously, this thread contains full of spoilers.

Spoiler: Z Dialogue (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:30:57 PM by DDarkray »

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILER] Unexplained Lore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »

Answer to Z dialog #91:

There is a lore record in Archives about the Lifeworm project:
> L-01 Lifeworm

My favorite cave project, and who knows if it will ever return home. Not that it was supposed to return. Only one Lifeworm was ever built, a magnificent creature given a creative mind of its own then let loose to endlessly burrow through the planet, reforming everything it consumes into artificial life. By now it could have populated half of Tau Ceti IV with interesting robots, but it's time to let go of past hobbies and focus on productive tasks.

It looks like Lifeworm mines materials to build robots and has AI capable of designing and programming unique, self-aware robots.

Terminus

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:28:02 PM »

Oh, awesome! A lore corner.
Life worm seems to be a verified entity, and depending on the timeframe that it operated in (still is operating in?), it may have something to do with the assembled... maybe.
However, I'm curious to know if that derelict was really made by the life worm, or if it was manufactured in Zion and simply incorporated memories from a robot that was created by the life worm, and passed on its memories into the imprinting machine. After all, the derelict that gives that dialogue is either a pretty standard looking zionite or derelict variant of a complex bot, nothing particularly interesting or special about it.
Grand spoilers!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully this becomes the go-to place for lore questions + "answers," then the forums may get more proper activity :P

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:09:19 PM »

I'm glad that at least Lifeworm isn't a myth. So all these Derelicts are really the product of Zhirov, which is interesting. I need to grab those Archive lores one day. :D

Did you know: Lifeworm project was implemented at 2218. According to the trailer, the current year is 2243, so the oldest Derelict is around 25-year-old.

Speaking of Lifeworm, here's a Big Cave Seal Theory I have.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:03:27 AM by DDarkray »

Terminus

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »

*pssssst*
Archives lore is from MC perspective, not Zhirov
Zhirov just decodes the logs in the Archives...

DDarkray

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »

Well, that's what happened when you still don't have those lores, but I still think it's plausible that the cave was created by the Lifeworm. If that's true, then Main.C must be really dumb for making that project!

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »

Assembled origins and Z-tech.

Imprinter

Warlord's 'bonus backstory'

Terminus

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 05:59:18 PM »

Regarding assembled origins and Z-tech:

On the Imprinter:

Glad to see more thought being put into the [REDACTED] lore, need more thinkers to hopefully get a clearer picture of how these things all fit together...

tho cogmind 2 could settle these issues a lot easier...

Valguris

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »

although I'm not sure then why the technology utilized by the assembled is so "low" or ineffective when compared to standard Sigix technology found in Q or on the Leopard. Perhaps a built-in limitation on the "Sigix Assembled Fabricator" itself?
Standard assembled units are hastily mass-produced from the most common materials by Assemblers. That should explain why their stuff is so weak.

I'm not sure about the idea of an "alliance" between Imprinter and the Assembled.
Assembled and Z-units are too close to eachother not to fight in case they were enemies (and Assembled appear to be enemies to pretty much everyone by default). Hence I believe that there is at least a cease-fire. But then Imprinter is using Assembled's tech to equip Z-units, which suggests cooperation.

It does seem unlikely that the Imprinter has not told us what the Imprinting machine does in full.
Imprinter clearly hid from us that the imprinting machine can react to Cogmind the way it did. And since she was the one building it (or at least she's the one maintaining it, as suggested by Architect trying to influence her to change the machine's functionality), it is unlikely that she didn't know about it. Which puts her trustworthiness into doubt. One has to ask what else is going on that she didn't tell us? Imprinting machine with it's power to reprogram masses allows her to get away with a lot of shady things if she wished to use it in that way. And -- I'll repeat myself here -- she already lied to us about what the imprinting machine does.

The likelihood that Imprinter = A9 is very low, so I would not consider this as a plausible hypothesis.
As you said, A9 was probably captured and destroyed by MC. However, we do not know how many architects there were. Imprinter can still turn out to be an architect, while not being any of the known A-bots, although this is just a guess. She probably is something completely different, as you said.

EDIT: Imprinter seemed well prepared for the imprinting machine's reaction to Cogmind (although surprised that it happened NOW), which further suggests that she knew about that functionality but decided not to mention it to anyone.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:57:12 AM by Valguris »

Terminus

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »

I agree that the standard assembled are hastily-composed machines meant to be fast glass-cannons with low material cost, but even the golems themselves utilize technology that is sub-par compared to, what appears to be, standard Sigix technology. But this is not a major objection, really, and has a few resolutions already mentioned.

While the z-units and assembled are in close proximity, the Golems and assembled appear to stick to there own regions, so may simply not attack one another simply due to not really coming into contact. After all, still have to consider the vast number of dead derelicts in the Golem chamber. It may be possible to actually test this in game, with good luck; If assembled spawn in the entrance zone of zdc, avoid fighting them and instead trigger Imprinter to appear. Then, attempt to see if imprinter and company fight the assembled, or if they simply ignore one another. Another method would be to gain the attention of the z-lights in the upper or lower part of the z-facility cavern, and then move further towards the Golem chamber to find a group of assembled, and see if they fight one-another or not.
Main problem is that both hypotheses are compatible with what we can see, although I would object to the idea of Assembled having communicated with Imprinter and are actively cooperating simply because this introduces something for which we have no need of; No assembled are known to have communicated, outside of the Golems, and even this is a single message that is encrypted. Instead, the imprinter using assembled-based technology could be due to her salvaging GUs from the chamber, which would explain the mass grave in the chamber itself, and fits more simply with less assumptions.

When I said unlikely, that was a mistype on my part  :o I meant likely; I certainly don't think the Imprinter to be a trustworthy and forthcoming individual  :P
Otherwise yeah, the rest of that post I agree with.

The Architects are an interesting group, and one major issue I have with them is that I'm not entirely convinced A2-9 are "true" architects like The Architect is.
First, the tile itself is quite different, as are the innate traits and abilities. The tools they use are far-above those used by the other "architects," and it has perfect command over the others with it's ability to over-write their thoughts and intentions on the fly, as demonstrated with A7. They also installed emergency codes into all of A2-9, should they ever manage to rebel; I don't think this could have happened if they were all made at the same time, from the same base, as MC originally did with his architects. Not to mention that in that same log from archives, MC states that he destroyed all of the Architects. Him believing to have destroyed them all, with one escaping somehow, versus 9 escaping detection, I find only 1 escaping to be much more reasonable.
Instead, I think that A2-9 are/were manufactured by Architect themselves, after they escaped, with later numbers being more recently created. This could go some ways to explain why lower-numbers are stronger; they would have been around longer, done more for the Architect, and be upgraded and "promoted" over time with better tools and utilities to become more effective agents.

Tangent aside... I don't know if Imprinter was once an a-series robot or not, but I think it's not likely. Not really sure what she is... and there really is very little to go off of. I'll have to wait a bit to try gathering more information before I provide a better proposal on that issue :p

Valguris

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 09:04:13 AM »

[I was thinking whether I should necro this topic or start a new one and just link to this one. I decided the latter option makes it more annoying to read, so here we go.]

Apparently CRM does NOT identify Golem or Assembled parts. This suggests that they are not created by Sigix. But them becoming friendly to you if you use CRM ties them to Sigix in some way. Did some mad scientist goe his hands on some Sigix tech and created Assemblers based on it? Was the reaction to CRM his intention? Or did he copy some piece of Sigix equipment without understanding it?

We haven't met anyone who seems to know about Assembled origins. Maybe the Architects know something? Assembled being a distraction for MC is certainly convenient for Architects. But they aren't vocal about that. Architects have access to some Sigix equipment so they actually seem to be the likely culprits.

Then again, the Assembled seemed to copy technology they saw in the Complex and among the Derelicts, then produced it using local materials. So maybe that's why these parts are not in the factory default Sigix parts database. Parts used by Golems do not look like a copy of anything, though. And these aren't identified by CRM either.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:13:48 AM by Valguris »