Cogmind > Support

Neither Cogmind or Rexpaint will boot up

(1/1)

opposable:
Hi there,

I've been trying to get Rexpaint to work, and checking to see if Cogmind will (both did on my previous machine).

When I try to run the app I get 'The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000007b).

I have installed the dll's in the right place (this was previously an issue but now no complaints on application start).

I have ensured the applications are in clear filepaths with no unusual or non-english characters.

I have tried running as admin, although I have Cogmind and Rexpaint installed in user accessible locations.

I expect this is something to do with display settings as per some previous formum solutions, but I cannot get these to work for me.

I am on Windows 10 Pro, am not sure if this is relevant but I have different options for fixing display scaling (see attached image). 

I am running 3 4k monitors, although have tried reducing the resolution right down, and unplugging 2 of them, but still get the same error.  Also tried making a single low res screen in NVidia settings but no dice.  I'm running cogmind through Steam, Rexpaint was a direct download.  Neither show up in processes/task manager before providing the error.

This is a workhorse computer so 3090 graphics card, although not sure if that's relevant.  I've updated Windows as far as possible, it's now on version 21H1.

If anyone has seen this and found a solution I'd appreciate it,. also very much appreciate the game developers time is precious so not expecting a quick fix, for the moment I'll leave this here and try using Linux / Wine instead.

Many thanks...

Kyzrati:
Thanks for the detailed info. This seems pretty weird...

My first guess would that it has to do with a multi-monitor setup, which normally isn't a problem (I use multiple myself, as do many others), but there is the catch that the engine always/only tries to 1) start up on whatever is designated as the primary monitor and 2) use that monitor's current resolution settings. Some kinds of virtual solutions or other strange setups can theoretically interfere with that.

Sounds like you did already test with one monitor though, so maybe it's something else.

In any case, the first step here is to look at the engine run.log or crash.log located in the main directory for each. There may or may not be a crash log, but there'll always be a run log, and we can use that to see exactly where it stopped and possibly why, or at least hopefully make a more accurate guess as to why :)

So check for those files in REXPaint and Cogmind and share them here so I can maybe see what's up. (That both don't work at least tells us that yes it's something about the engine not being compatible with some aspect of the environment, but it's also worrying in that REXPaint doesn't even do fullscreen or require anything except a small window at the very least... anyway, we'll see.)

If there is no new run log at all when you try to run it, then the program isn't even starting up, which means the original DLL issue may not have been resolved. In fact, I'm now wondering if you have the latest correct DLLs... Microsoft just this May updated the MSVC2010 DLLs and there's a new download link, and if you used that without the new instructions I added to the DRM-free email just last week, then you may have installed the wrong ones and it only "sorta works but doesn't tell you it's a DLL issue"?

The new README has been updated to the following text:

--- Quote ---* If Cogmind complains about DLL files, your system needs the MSVC++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86), which can be downloaded and installed from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999. After clicking "Download" it will list multiple versions, and the one you need is "vcredist_x86.exe". (Alternatively, the required files can be installed manually by downloading "msvcp100.dll" and "msvcr100.dll" from the web and putting them in your "windows/system32" directory, but the Microsoft installer is a simpler and quicker approach.)
--- End quote ---

The main thing is there only used to be a single download, but now they've split it into three, and a lot of people will assume they need x64, when they really need to install x86...

opposable:
Thanks you so much Kyzrati!  I didn't think of that but of course that was the problem.  Many thanks, and many thanks for your inspiring game and application!

If anyone else has this issue, when you try and install x86 redistributable over 64 bit versions, the installer will indicxate it has repaired it but in fact do nothing (on my machine at least).  I had to remove msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll from C:/Windows/SysWOW64 manually (or copy them somewhere safe) then run the x86 installer.

Thanks,

Kyzrati:
Whew, glad that was it, and glad it was brought to my attention recently that the libraries and download had changed! The next official releases will have updated README files and I guess word will get around, though I'll still be answering related questions for a while :P

Thanks for getting back to me, and have fun :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version