Cogmind > Support

Runtime Error

(1/2) > >>

jedao:
The game worked fine yesterday, today I cannot start it anymore. It always exits immediately with a runtime error.

Things I tried:

* Deleting user/game.bin
* Deleting entire user folder
* Uninstalling Game, reinstalling in different directory
* Running it as admin

Nothing works. I use the steam version, I would refund but they won't let me because I played more than 2 hours.

Kyzrati:
Well, first of all I can say there's no need to refund if you're interested in playing since it worked before and it'll definitely work again. Maybe a Steam cloud issue, or something else, but either way I'm sure it'll be pretty easy to figure out.

Looks like you asked about this on the Steam forums yesterday and I replied to you then about how to start resolving this, but you didn't get back to me there yet :P

That's okay, easier to share files here anyway. To repeat what I said over there:

--- Quote ---There's a file called run.log in the game directory, provide that or post the contents somewhere for me to look at and it'll likely contain the reason listed at the end. (Actually if there's a crash.log that will likely be better.)
--- End quote ---

Kyzrati:
Quick note that if your user folder got corrupted and that happens to be an issue, deleting it from your computer, reinstalling, or reinstalling elsewhere generally doesn't solve that issue if you're using Steam cloud, because Steam will just download the same corrupted user data to the new location xD

jedao:
Thank you for the reply. I checked the run.log but it didn't seem to tell me anything helpful:

--- Code: ---I=0016890 |   |   |   Unserializing saved Faction manager
I=0017020 |   |   |   Sending content...
I=0017020 |   |   |   Waiting for ACK...
I=0017040 |   |   |   BS::BattleScape() | Unserializing saved BattleScape
I=0017491 |   |   |   |   Got 1285 bytes: HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 21:58:45 GMT

Server: Apache

Upgrade: h2,h2c

Connection: Upgrade

Vary: Accept-Encoding

X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff

X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

3f3

update_content:<VERSION>Beta 10.2</VERSION><BUILD>210401a</BUILD><NEWS>Welcome to Cogmind BETA ACCESS!

Many thanks for your continued support of Cogmind! See the forum announcements for the full release notes and latest changelog.

Visit Discord, the forums, or r/Cogmind with any questions or to share your experiences with others. There are also some spoiler-free tips in the beginners survival guide in the manual.

Enjoy!

As of Beta 1, the world is complete, as is the story with all seven different endings.

The latest Beta 10 has added a full ambient soundscape, new RIF abilities, two more alternate endings, many more types of drones, and of course lots of other features to improve the overall experience.

Beta 10.2 makes a number of tweaks and adds some new content, but most importantly enables participation in a timed ARG event! The latest 210401a build is save compatible with the previous update, but might behave in strange and interesting ways if you start a run from scratch.</NEWS></END>

I=0017491 |   |   |   |   POST succeeded
I=0017491 |   |   |   |   Closing socket...
I=0017491 |   |   |   \---DONE
--- End code ---

I don't think I am using Steam Cloud, is there any way to make sure that isn't used when re-installing?

PS: I deleted my review on Steam. I admit that I was a bit annoyed, and I didn't find the topic again in the forum.

Kyzrati:
Hi jedao, thanks for getting back to me :)

Appreciated and I can understand the annoyance, for sure, and on thinking about it later I imagine you maybe meant the post had disappeared from the Steam forums (?), but I had simply moved it from the General category to the Technical Support category when I replied, to keep things organized (so it would still appear in your notifications as normal when I replied, but not if you're just browsing the General category without switching over to the other board).

As to the issue, so you don't have a crash.log, eh? Makes sense I guess since from what you've posted there (I'm assuming it's the end of the run.log) it looks like the error is that it's trying to load a saved game, one which is seemingly corrupted (this seems possible in very rare cases due to external factors like Steam, or other system oddities, which is why I added an automated backup system to be able to recover saves and progress even when this happens).

That's what the line "Unserializing saved BattleScape" means there, so given that you have indeed attempted to reinstall this elsewhere etc, yep Steam cloud keeps restoring your old broken file xD

If it happens again in the future when you're playing, let me know and I can tell you how to recover even broken saves, although really this shouldn't be that common an occurrence...

But anyway first let's deal with this particular issue, which requires that you 1) delete your saved game (the "user/save_v57.sav" file) then 2) make sure that Steam does not restore it via the cloud, which is active by default:

In Steam go to Cogmind > Properties, and under the General tab there's a section Steam Cloud in the middle there, make sure to unclick the "Keep games saves in the Steam Cloud for Cogmind."

After doing this it should start up normally. Try that and let me know how it goes :)

(Not to overload you with info, but technically if you have other .sav-extension files in the user directory, you can rename the last-dated one to "save_v57.sav" and it will likely be able to continue the run you were playing before this occurred.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version