Grid Sage Forums

• May 06, 2024, 03:59:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Specializations  (Read 1397 times)

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Specializations
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:10:20 AM »

Disclaimer: i am a n00b. I die a lot and progress not far in...

Okay so here goes: what if when you level up you get to pick some traits? It's can be gotten other ways but idea is that it would be non-destroyable part of your run. Currently there is only part-counts. This makes a very strange balancing (imho): all those that are quick are easier to win - you get shot less, you loose less parts that make up your "build" or strategy. If you had some way to influence that in more permanent way, maybe it would allow more gameplay choices?

Example traits:
  • More integrity for X, where X is Utility/Propulsion/Weapons/Engine
  • Heal some corruption
  • Faster attacks (by some low %)
  • Better targeting (by some low %)

So what do you all think?

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
Re: Specializations
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:53:27 AM »

OR you could just attach a part that does those things  :P

I think it's against the feel of the game to have permanent boosts like that. Modularity is what makes the game special.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »

OR you could just attach a part that does those things  :P

I think it's against the feel of the game to have permanent boosts like that. Modularity is what makes the game special.
I don't want to replace that. But currently at least i get to rebuild my cogmind few times each level. E.g. you come in with an idea of HUGE tank with powerful weapons, but weapons get destroyed, threads replaced with flying modules and you can no longer carry even half your inventory.

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »

Scanalyzers and Fabricators let you rebuild. Storage units are great for holding spare parts. Hcp. Storage Units are super beefy and will survive for a long while before they need replaced.

And when all else fails, terminal hacking allows you to make any build you want if you're patient enough.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody