Cogmind > Stories

Pacifist win! [Extended-game Spoilers]

<< < (2/4) > >>

Kyzrati:
The bonus starts very small and grows more and more for each new depth you reach--doesn't matter how many enemies you kill, as soon as you kill one your streak is stopped right there and no more points are awarded.

Any "indirect" kills that do not raise alert (like traps) won't count against you, but anything that raises alert still does. From your score sheet it looks like you destroyed 2 Workers, a Recycler, 3 Watchers, a Swarmer, a Saboteur, and a Grunt... also from the stats it seems you fired your Mni. Grenade Launcher once ;)

You can probably see more details if you look through your log (if you haven't already, in the options you can set it to output your message log at the end of a run).

Xii:
Oh, yeah... I fired a grenade launcher, once, in Materials to get through a wall. Since the Pacifist bonus score is only 200, that HAS to have been the fault, no? Damn. Probably killed a worker on the other side and I didn't notice.

It'd be nice if there was an advanced option for notifying when the pacifist streak ends.

Ohhhh.... I also overloaded a fabricator in the Armory. Overloading raises alert, so... counts against pacifist as you say.

I will definitely enable that log option, thanks for the info.

Crud. Lost 12k points to thoughtlessness.  ::)

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: Xii on March 16, 2019, 09:06:36 AM ---Oh, yeah... I fired a grenade launcher, once, in Materials to get through a wall. Since the Pacifist bonus score is only 200, that HAS to have been the fault, no? Damn. Probably killed a worker on the other side and I didn't notice.

--- End quote ---
Yep, that was it!

--- Quote from: Xii on March 16, 2019, 09:06:36 AM ---It'd be nice if there was an advanced option for notifying when the pacifist streak ends.

--- End quote ---
This is on the list of things to do in the future--achievement progress, but we'll see if patrons want to prioritize it or not. I can only add so many of the extra features! (This set in particular is incredibly time-consuming.)

--- Quote from: Xii on March 16, 2019, 09:06:36 AM ---Ohhhh.... I also overloaded a fabricator in the Armory. Overloading raises alert, so... counts against pacifist as you say.

--- End quote ---
The action of overloading itself doesn't count against pacifism, since that's not a kill in itself, but any of the bots it corrupts will further raise the alert on you.

I wasn't sure whether I wanted this to happen or not, since it counts as a pretty indirect form of attack akin to traps. I'm pretty sure at the time I was afraid it would be too effective and powerful to not count, but considering it's a force hack and Fabricators are limited, I think for Beta 9 I'll change that so that the kills no longer raise alert (or therefore count against pacifism).

--- Quote from: Xii on March 16, 2019, 09:06:36 AM ---Crud. Lost 12k points to thoughtlessness.  ::)

--- End quote ---
Hehe, just firing a grenade as a pacifist is pretty dangerous! You might not know what's around the corner or behind a wall...

Xii:

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on March 16, 2019, 05:25:09 PM ---I wasn't sure whether I wanted this to happen or not, since it counts as a pretty indirect form of attack akin to traps. I'm pretty sure at the time I was afraid it would be too effective and powerful to not count, but considering it's a force hack and Fabricators are limited, I think for Beta 9 I'll change that so that the kills no longer raise alert (or therefore count against pacifism).

--- End quote ---

Today playing beta 9 I learned that trojan detonate not only raises alert, but any bots destroyed in the machine explosions count as kills against pacifism. Another run ruined...

Did you change the fabricator disruption for beta 9?
Do RIF hacks that make bots explode count as kills against pacifism?
Does hacking a worker to disassemble an explosive machine which blows up bots count as kills against pacifism?

I can't play a game not knowing its rules, damnit. And I won't waste all these hours discovering them by trial and error. List what kills pacifist, please. >:(

Kyzrati:
I wanted to make the detonation non-traceable, but in the end couldn't because it would be far too effective in that case. That said, it's kinda interesting that it doesn't seem to really get used much anyway--you're the only one I can recall actually installing it seriously other than myself and others who might just be fooling around, but normally don't even consider it's existence :P

--- Quote from: Xii on October 22, 2019, 03:02:52 PM ---Did you change the fabricator disruption for beta 9?

--- End quote ---
That was changed about half a year ago in Beta 8.1 shortly after you asked :P (everything that's changed is recorded in the changelogs)

--- Quote from: Xii on October 22, 2019, 03:02:52 PM ---Do RIF hacks that make bots explode count as kills against pacifism?

--- End quote ---
No RIF hacks count towards alert or kills, no.

--- Quote from: Xii on October 22, 2019, 03:02:52 PM ---Does hacking a worker to disassemble an explosive machine which blows up bots count as kills against pacifism?

--- End quote ---
Nope.

Very little aside from directly killing bots counts against pacifism, but that was just a secondary achievement goal added after years of development, so I can't recall every indirect thing that might trigger it (since it's not anything directly related to the achievement itself, but anything that counts towards your kill count, which must be zero).

To my knowledge, most of the community pacifist runs so far are done simply as speed runs, since you don't technically have to engage or destroy any bot and can go straight to the end fairly quickly. Or for a slightly slower but less risky playstyle: slap on some flight prop, fab some hackware to make better use of Terminals, and otherwise make a beeline for the surface.

Spending a lot of time in the complex trying to engage threats is a pretty risky way to get pacifism. RIF would be great in theory, but also requires that you enter Garrisons, which are tightly confined spaces filled with lots of hostiles xD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version