Cogmind > General Discussion

Call for wiki contributors

(1/3) > >>

Phssthpok:
The Cogmind wiki is now mature enough to make casual contributions easy. If you see an interesting item or robot, please add it to the wiki.

To add an item: go to Template:Part or Template:Robot and copy the example code, then paste it into a new page for the item you are adding, and fill in the fields.

I have seen a lot of parts that I haven't had time to create pages for yet, if anybody would like to go through my album of parts or biomatter's album of parts and create wiki pages, that would be a great service to the community. If you have a similar collection of screenshots, I can add them to this album. Eventually we would like to collect images as well as stats, and it may be easier to do that with screenshots than by trying to make the wiki display ASCII art properly.

Kyzrati:
Hear that, biomatter? "Casual contributions made easy" :P

Many thanks to Phssthpok for getting the wiki off the ground with an excellent set of templates. (Btw, I fixed your OP links since they were all formatted strangely for some reason. Edit: Now I realize it was probably a side effect of copying from Reddit markdown.)

If you guys do at some point use images, I would highly suggest/prefer that you make them using the default size 12 font set (12/Cogmind). I'll go add this note to the style guide, too. The art was made to look best at that size, as was the default font.

Phssthpok:
Thanks, Kyzrati.

What do you think of the taxonomy so far? There's plenty of the game I haven't seen yet, so I don't know  how accurate it is to treat all items as parts, and all "power" items as engines. There are a lot of ambiguous names in propulsion, so I've avoided grouping them by type. And there are so many weapons that I've grouped them at a smaller granularity than in the manual.

Can you predict any pain points with the wiki taxonomy, without spoiling anything?

Warmist:
Just an idea/suggestion/(question?) could we have some parts of stuff spoilered? E.g. if i don't want "fully analyzed" robots, could templates have that?

Phssthpok:
It's hard to know where to draw the line when trying to spoiler parts of a single-item page. It might be feasible to make a databox only show the basic info. But I still think the main page for an item should be the authoritative location for as much info as possible.

Maybe higher-level pages such as categories and some guides could be made "safe". Seeing the names of high-rating robots and parts doesn't tell you much about lore or mechanics. Strategy discussion on the Brawler class page doesn't tell you the specific loadout of a B-36 Bruiser.

So, if it were easy to include a truncated version of a databox on another page (possibly as a popup when hovering), we could start making spoiler-free pages that didn't encourage you to click all the way through to the spoilery pages.

This will probably require custom CSS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version