Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 10:03:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: -1 failure (spoilers)  (Read 1554 times)

neuromodulator

• Unaware
    • View Profile
-1 failure (spoilers)
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:41:03 PM »

Oh man, I just had an epic game of flying and fleeing. Early on, I dodged into the mines when I was cornered, knowing it was a dangerous play, but feeling like I hadn't tried going full-mobility in the mines yet. I ran around there, dodging several firefights, came out the other side, and eventually assembled a very good rig with an advanced ECM suite, improved transmission jammer, and enhanced optics and sensors. I successfully ran with no weapons from around the early game right up until -1, and then things started to deteriorate. I was actually in pretty good shape for a long time, replacing my power supplies and propulsion systems as necessary, but eventually the damage whittled away my key support utilities.

First I found what seemed like a decoy exit area, possibly? There might have been more to it, but I didn't stick around to look. I burned my way through a triple barrier, pulled the two small units away, and then returned to burn through another set of barriers while getting hammered by behemoths. It seemed like there was nothing there, though - there was a locked branch but that was actually right before both sets of barriers.

Then I ran around the level, hoping to find something else, because I didn't want to return to the area with double behemoths to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was back to no weapon at this time, mind you. I found a wide, unexplored hallway that seemed promising, with a troop of nasties that I again led away so that I could zoom past them at top speed...only to run into a second emplacement of double behemoths in front of a triple barrier. Except now my equipment had dwindled away to next to nothing, and I had the mob of guys I had led away coming behind me to sandwich me against the behemoths. I went for the only play I saw: I wedged myself between the behemoths, against the barrier, and hoped their errant shots would destroy the barrier before they got me.

It actually worked. One, two, three layers down, as my gear and core are shaved away. I pushed through under natural propulsion...only to find another reinforced barrier around what I'm guessing were the door controls for the exit. That was it - I had no weapon, no ability left to run, and no fight left in me. The guys I had initially led away came through the same holes in the barriers that I had and finished me off.

Moral of the story: carry some weapons.