Cogmind > Ideas

Hot wheels idea

(1/3) > >>

DDarkray:
Pun intended.  :D

So I was wondering, is there any plan to buff the wheel propulsion? If not, I was thinking if it's a good idea to make a good hit-and-run play style with it. Just like how cars accelerate, wheels start with normal speed but get faster (use less time to move) as you build momentum. Maybe cancel out the accuracy loss from firing weapons while moving on wheels (since the wheels' momentum help you move, so you can concentrate more on attacking). Of course, once your momentum is zero, you're not speedy anymore.

Kyzrati:
Hehe, wheels were never intended to be a propulsion players take by choice, no. The idea is they have pretty good speed and support, but are physically weak and can be found almost anywhere in a pinch because most non-combat robots use them. They are somewhat better than they used to be in the earliest versions, with extra support, but I don't feel that everything needs to be perfectly balanced in terms of capabilities (in this case their ubiquity is part of their advantage not reflected directly in their stats).

Giving them some other kind of benefit could be interesting, and the gameplay effects of an acceleration concept are worth considering (the accuracy idea I don't think would fit well enough, logically speaking, once compared to other forms of transportation like hover). Someone in chat mentioned wheel acceleration before as well.

Other opinions on wheels and momentum-based acceleration?

qalnor:
Sounds fun to me, although I think that there's a fine line between it being balanced, fun and consistent with the rest of gameplay. I'm not really sure if I'd want my robot to keep rolling because I forget to hit the brakes but on the other hand if there's no realisticish consequences to momentum then really what you're doing is balancing a reward for players for moving continuously in a straight line against a punishment for when they don't do so.

Kyzrati:
Oh momentum in this case wouldn't mean that you'd have to actively stop, it would purely be a benefit. And momentum is already an existing mechanic that affects melee combat.

Though as you say, as additional effect like this will be compared against not doing it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a punishment, if all it means is giving extra speed beyond the status quo.

I'm not to keen on a change like this, anyway, but other opinions for effects or unique takes on wheel mechanics are welcome.

zxc:
Huh, yeah that sounds interesting... the longer you move in a direction, the faster you go. Speed down corridors at 10 or less!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version