Cogmind > Strategies

Alpha 11 combat strategy

<< < (2/5) > >>

Decker:
Early on I use treads when I can, otherwise legs if I run out. Late game it's treads, flight, or legs.

mindreader:
Maybe the solution to energy weapons is to massively increase the amount of heat imparted on the target?  I know I have had three robots pinging me with lasers and even flamethrowers, with no heat sinks before and barely even noticed the heat impact.  Similarly now that large robots are fixed, I've never overheated a robot, no matter how much firepower I level at it.  You would think that heat dissipation would be important even if you have low heat weapons just because you are having lasers fired at you all day.

I'm kind of sad to see that combat builds sort of go the way of the dodo in the late game, which is probably why I don't do so well.  Those five gun slots aren't going to help me win the game, so why do I even have them?

zxc:
You can absolutely win a combat build - it's just really hard. You either need a build capable of dealing with alert 5, or ways of keeping the alert from ever reaching 5. The former is better for score, but harder to pull off, whereas the latter is more reliable (avoiding combat where possible, almost like a hybrid).

An increase in heat transferred to the target would be an interesting buff. However, I think the main reason thermal weapons (and even EM weapons) are avoided is because of the inhibitive energy costs and heat generation on firing. Kinetic builds just don't need to deal with that crap, and have excellent damage and crit potential to top it off. Why not a reduction in energy/heat reqs across the board for energy weapons?

mindreader:
Well if you think about it, imparting more heat to target results in two things. 

If you were imparting twice or four times the heat you are now, after that first volley, the enemy is going to both fire and dodge less accurately for future rounds.  And if you impart enough heat and are capable of dealing with your own heat, even if you haven't managed to hit their core, they will quickly have to deal with part disablement.

Also if it were extreme enough, it would downgrade non energy weapons builds by requiring some sort of heat management in order to deal with situations in which a lot of energy based enemies are firing at you.  Currently you only really have to worry about swapping in parts to deal with damage.  Heat management is unimportant in every situation besides your own weapon loadout.

So energy weapons would have defensive implications.  Also it would probably require only small changes to code to try out.  If it turns out it is a waste of time, then so be it.

zxc:
I'd be interested in a buff to heat transfer as well as a small reduction in resource costs. This is assuming that kinetic weapons stay the same as now. Kyzrati might be nerfing (some of) them...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version