Grid Sage Games > General & Off-Topic

cogmind: is it using fonts or tiles?

(1/2) > >>

e1ee7:
Hi all,

I'm working on a roguelike game and I fall in love with cogmind's look&feel. So I have a couple of question so I can start in a right direction to get similar look&feel (not a clone, just similar):

1. Does cogmind use bitmap fonts or tilesets?
2. Does cogmind use some support library (like libtcod)?
3. I found somewhere that cogmind uses SDL/SDL2. Is that true?

Thanks in advance.

Kyzrati:
Hi there,

You can learn more about Cogmind and other in-development roguelikes via /r/roguelikedev, where myself and lots of other developers hang out. (Of course there's plenty of Cogmind-specific info available on my blog, but that's mostly design rather than technical content.)

As for your questions:

* Both--they're really the same thing. A bitmap font and tileset are just different names for a spritesheet.
* No external roguelike library, no. It uses my own closed source library, "REX," though you can do all the same stuff in libtcod, which I highly recommend if you don't want to build a library on your own.
* Yes, SDL 1.2. There's little reason to not use something like SDL/SFML/Unity/Unreal when making a game these days.Good luck!

e1ee7:
Thank you for your response. I already found most of the answers in your blog/reddit posts. Can you please answer why you think SFML is not that suitable for game development (because I'm using it for my game)? I was thinking about SDL2, but looks like it is not stable enough yet.

zxc:

--- Quote from: e1ee7 on October 01, 2015, 01:53:31 AM ---Thank you for your response. I already found most of the answers in your blog/reddit posts. Can you please answer why you think SFML is not that suitable for game development (because I'm using it for my game)? I was thinking about SDL2, but looks like it is not stable enough yet.

--- End quote ---

Actually K said there is little reason to not use something like SFML, meaning you should use it.

e1ee7:
Ah, I'm sorry, a bit sleepy. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version