Cogmind > Support

Any luck with Wine on OSX? [SOLUTIONS INSIDE]

<< < (2/13) > >>

Kyzrati:
Thank you for the details. So aside from Mac owners being able to do this themselves, this is something I could also theoretically use to package Cogmind and distribute it as a one-step installer for OSX users?

I don't have a Mac, so I would have to set up a reliable OSX VM to take care of it. Sounds like a good possibility, though.

Slotos:
From the technical standpoint this is all you have to do. I'm not sure about legal one though.

I've just tried bundling Cogmind without vcrun2010 and it launched without any problems, so that's one EULA off your shoulders. Still, you'd have to deal with wine and winebottler licences before bundling anything.

campfly:
I ended up getting it running using Wineskin Winery, going with the most recent Wine engine from the list and copying the Cogmind folder and files via the "Install" phase instead of selecting an install executable. Have launched and played briefly a few times now with no problems. The window keeps the menu bar at the top which slightly spoils the dark terminal magic, but I haven't tried playing with the video settings yet.

If you could provide a Mac version, I think it would be warmly received and would especially make a difference for those who play primarily Steam games.

Phragmented:
I just now tried the WineBottler approach. Very slick! Unfortunately, I see the following misbehaviors on my machine: 1) still getting the fairly frequent full-screen white flashes. 2) the F1 key (for bringing up the menu) doesn't work. I saw this latter behavior when I tried to run Cogmind.exe inside of a Windows XP bottle in Crossover. For some reason, I'm only getting the Fn keys to work in Windows 7 or Windows 8 Wine environments (on Crossover).

Maybe both of these issues are local to my machine - I'll try it on my home machine this weekend. I'm on latest Yosemite on a 2014 MacBook Pro.

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: Slotos on May 21, 2015, 05:24:02 AM ---From the technical standpoint this is all you have to do. I'm not sure about legal one though.

--- End quote ---
I see. I'll have to look into it later.

@campfly: If what you refer to is a native Mac version, that would be quite difficult from an engine standpoint due to the large number of interconnected projects and libraries, many containing VS/windows-specific code.

It would be really nice to enable a hassle free solution for Mac users. At the same time, I wonder if it's easy to make literally one distribution that would work nicely across all OSX systems. If not, then it seems like providing clear guidance/support for Mac users to use any of multiple options that work best for them might be the better route. I'm not at all familiar with Mac development so perhaps you guys could suggest whether we could use a single method of distribution that "just works."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version