Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
 on: April 06, 2024, 04:48:20 AM 
Started by Kyzrati - Last post by matthewgdv
Hi, I recently started playing Cogmind (thanks DoshDoshington!) and I'm loving it so far, but the only thing that I'm really finding as a major pain point is the limitations of the key rebinding system.

I'd love to play using a WASD + mouse scheme, and while Shadowfury333's AutoHotKey script + commands.cfg file gets very close, there are still a few issues (for me):

1) The game doesn't change to reflect the hotkey changes. This isn't a problem for the information in the in-game manual, but it's very unintuitive and confusing for hotkeys displayed in the UI (such as the scan hotkeys, the inventory mode hotkeys, sort hotkey, etc.), especially if you take a break from the game and come back to it a few weeks or months later and can't remember how you had set it up. I appreciate that some keys have long names (SPACEBAR) and there might not be enough space in their UI location for them, such as the scan hotkeys, but in those situations maybe just removing the hotkey reminder from the UI would be better (and you could maybe even show the hotkey as a tooltip on hover?)

2) The mouse isn't rebindable. When using a WASD-based control scheme I'd find it more intuitive to switch the functionality of the right mouse button to the left one (left clicking on things to 'select' them is more in line with most other top-down games, such as RTS games), including for moving and setting the camera, and change the right mouse button to no longer issue movement commands, but instead enter fire mode, and then when in fire mode for RMB to shoot, while LMB cancels instead (the opposite of currently). Basically, I'd just really want the LMB and RMB functionality to also be exposed in the commands.cfg file. I'm assuming currently you've special-cased certain actions like holding RMB to set the camera to a location, but maybe that could be solved more generally by adding it as an additional modifier called Hold in the commands.cfg, alongside Ctrl, Shift, and Alt?

3) Movement key combinations for diagonals (e.g. w+d). This is great because it frees up 4 keys near where your left hand will be 99% of the time for commonly needed actions other than movement. This point actually is handled by Shadowfury333's script, but I'd love to see it included in the base game so that users don't have to install third-party programs to make this work. It's actually at this point the only thing you need the AHK script to do that you can't just do baseline. Shadowfury333's script even allows you to customize whether you want a delay for WASD input during which the script waits for a second input, or whether to simply not move on keypress, but rather on key release, which helps to prevent accidental cardinal movements when a diagonal movement was intended.

Finally, I'd just like to say that I'd be super super grateful if you could put in-game key rebinding on the roadmap. It would be so much nicer than having to mess around with advanced user options and text files. I appreciate you mentioned this would be a ton of work, but I figured I'd at least register my interest with you, if that matters.

Cheers and take care. The game you've already got is nothing short of a miracle for a 1-man project. Truly amazing :)

on: April 04, 2024, 02:01:51 AM 
Started by Baxter - Last post by Kyzrati
Well once you start doing more combat-oriented runs you'll see it a lot more often, though yeah you're generally always at the very center (or as of Beta 13 the same position in the map view that you assign) so I never felt that was something that really needed to be emphasized.

It would be possible to add some sort of optional advanced cfg option to blink or glow Cogmind if there are a lot of items nearby or something like that. It wouldn't be a default feature since that's yet another thing that would need to be taught and otherwise confusing before then (and doesn't seem to be an issue for most people).

I wonder if anyone else is interested in this?

on: April 03, 2024, 06:05:32 PM 
Started by Baxter - Last post by Baxter
I haven't used the alternate centerpoint feature myself. I very frequently use ALT+direction to scan the map, then Enter to re-center myself.

It does help knowing that Cogmind's always at the centre; still, I sometimes find it a bit challenging when all the tiles are filled with items. But, to be honest, such situations are rare -- for me, it happens almost exclusively during the cave infestation -- and I can mitigate the effect by playing slower (which I should probably do anyway :P)

on: April 03, 2024, 05:42:50 PM 
Started by Baxter - Last post by Kyzrati
Interesting request, almost surprised I haven't heard this before and I thought this might be in the context of the new option to dynamically set an alternate centerpoint, because otherwise Cogmind is always going to be right at the center of the map view unless you shift away to look at other areas, but there's always the Enter key to recenter on your position. Were you familiar with that one and would it help?

on: April 03, 2024, 03:09:41 PM 
This is trivial, but there's been a few situations where the ground is littered with items, making Cogmind a little difficult to see (see screenshot). Would it make sense, in these scenarios, to make Cogmind stand out a little bit more -- some sort of highlighting mechanism?

This doesn't happen a lot, and it's a very minor thing, but it may be a slight QOL addition. And if this already exists, my apologies!

on: April 03, 2024, 03:02:21 PM 
Thank you!

And yes, that's the plan. Looking at trying something a little more aggressive -- a gunslinger with treads build.  8)

on: April 03, 2024, 11:11:37 AM 
Started by Baxter - Last post by lyrabold
Nice job! Now get out there and try again, or mix it up a little :]

on: April 02, 2024, 08:42:39 AM 
Started by flatmap - Last post by Kyzrati
No problem! Makes sense, wouldn't necessarily assume that examining and targeting are basically the same command set :)

on: April 02, 2024, 07:00:51 AM 
Started by flatmap - Last post by flatmap
You're right. Sorry, I was querying commands.cfg by HJKL and "examine" word.
Thanks!

on: April 01, 2024, 10:38:57 PM 
Started by flatmap - Last post by Kyzrati
It's not hard-coded, they're all in there. You can find the examine mode cursor-moving keys in the targeting domain (since it's used for both targeting and examination), thus CMD_BS_TARGETING_SHIFT_N and so on. You can see there are already vi-keys assigned there, but you're switching to a different layout so yeah you can adjust those.

Note: CMD_BS_DEFAULT_MAPJUMP_N is actually for shifting the map view (like recentering it to see a different area), not movement. Movement is CMD_BS_DEFAULT_MOVE_N etc.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]