Cogmind > Ideas

Part type targeting

<< < (2/3) > >>

Shadowfury333:
I could see the point of a utility that focuses it, though apart from "focus on core" I don't see myself using it. As for actual systems built around it, I could see that becoming a "grab left upper leg with right third finger" problem in a hurry.

Orangesobe:
I feel like it could be useful as a way to disable certain parts (weapons, cooling racks, engines) although I agree the core should never be able to be directly targeted, lets assume every normal shot is aimed at the enemy core and any other parts hit are due to recoil/movement/armor ect.

Now you find for example, lets call it a Targeting Scope, it allows you to target a specific part on the unit at the cost of increased time to fire and a penalty to hit, you are fighting a commando and attempt to target his gauss cannon, reduce your accuracy by the size of the part you are targeting, the total mass of the machine compared to the part, movement effects, ect. i think finding the right balance would be an ongoing process but it definitely could have a function, and small parts that have very little mass would be very difficult to target without significantly focusing on a sniper build.

DDarkray:
Part targeting does sound difficult to balance. In fact, some ideas for part targeting have already been implemented to a degree. For example, Core Analyzer has a similar effect of targeting robot's core. However, the chance to proc this effect is low, and its effect cannot be stacked either. Additionally, the effect will only transfer 50% of the damage to the core, and some robots are immune to this effect so you can't use it against certain foes. As you can see, there are a lot of restrictions in place for this kind of part targeting. As a result, not a lot of players use them, even among experienced players.

Armor Integrity Analyzer has a reverse effect where you have higher chance to target any part except armor. Unlike the core analyzer, this one is highly praised. There is little restriction, and the only thing you have to worry about is the proc chance. However, such worry is obsolete when the exp. version has 90% chance to proc. For only one processor, your chance to target core or weapon parts will increase since their armor coverage will be out of the equation. (The only real restriction is that it only affects armored robots, not regular robots, but that's where part targeting really shines. It only matters if you're facing off against strong enemies)

Similarly, targeting important parts can be really powerful unless there are a lot of restrictions behind it. If the ability to target any part except armor is already so powerful, it would be even more powerful if you can target any one part of your own choice! The most important part would be weapons since they directly influence your survival. If you can get to destroy their weapons easily, the robots would be as good as dead. Targeting power, propulsion, or utility won't have similar effect like this and are probably not worth implementing. If weapon targeting is as restricted as core analyzer, would it be worth having it?

zxc:
Core analyzers have been bugged forever. This was only detected recently. Until now, the effect applied on hits on the robot WEARING it, rather than the bots that they were hitting. Therefore, we haven't really seen how effective the (non-bugged) core analyzer can be offensively. I would guess that it's quite good for gunslingers who land a lot of hits and therefore a lot of chances to proc core damage.

Part targeting is a UI problem if nothing else. I didn't like doing it in Fallout 3 and I wouldn't like it in Cogmind. Just clunky. Even if you did it smoothly, I mean, you would always target weapons or core. Rarely would you target anything else.

DDarkray:

--- Quote from: zxc on December 12, 2017, 09:53:58 AM ---Core analyzers have been bugged forever. This was only detected recently. Until now, the effect applied on hits on the robot WEARING it, rather than the bots that they were hitting. Therefore, we haven't really seen how effective the (non-bugged) core analyzer can be offensively.
--- End quote ---

Oh right, I forgot about that.... It would be great if there's more transparency on item effect occurrence (by inserting it into the combat log) because that will help players see the effectiveness of an item and potentially find bugs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version