Cogmind > Ideas

Part type targeting

<< < (3/3)

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: DDarkray on December 12, 2017, 10:08:13 AM ---It would be great if there's more transparency on item effect occurrence (by inserting it into the combat log) because that will help players see the effectiveness of an item and potentially find bugs.

--- End quote ---
It's already transparent. It can be seen in the combat log and that's how one of the new Steam players discovered the bug. None of you combat log users noticed this over the past couple years! :P

zxc:
I think I noticed the oddity with the combat log but I didn't put two and two together.

Orangesobe:
I see specific part targeting as a tactical use weapon, any attempt to use in a prolonged firefight would be bad (increase the time to fire and you increase incoming damage) the more bots you bring on yourself the less useful it will be, and in mid to late game there swarms of very deadly commandos and hackers that will F you up in no time, I think excluding it from the game based solely on "it cant work" is a lack of imagination, I personally found when I first started playing that the inability to targets specific parts very counter intuitive though I understand for balance reasons it was left out i just think there may be room for some version of this in the long term.

Sherlockkat:

--- Quote ---Now you find for example, lets call it a Targeting Scope, it allows you to target a specific part on the unit at the cost of increased time to fire and a penalty to hit, you are fighting a commando and attempt to target his gauss cannon, reduce your accuracy by the size of the part you are targeting, the total mass of the machine compared to the part, movement effects, ect. i think finding the right balance would be an ongoing process but it definitely could have a function, and small parts that have very little mass would be very difficult to target without significantly focusing on a sniper build.
--- End quote ---

This is actually..how targeting works by default. The probability that you land on a shot on your desired part is (targeting stat/100 * coverage% (which is between 0 and 1)). Coverage% captures the idea of "size" and hey..you don't even get a penalty on your time to fire. Adding a utility which lets you select parts would have to be better than what you proposed (as it is strictly worse than what is already there).

To be constructive, a part targeting utility would do something like "add +10 to coverage for <X type> slots" or something along those lines.

GJ:

--- Quote from: DDarkray on December 12, 2017, 07:40:18 AM ---If weapon targeting is as restricted as core analyzer, would it be worth having it?

--- End quote ---
If it worked on Crushers. Which it should, given they don't have the immunities of Behemoths. It would be more niche than engine targeting --- depriving an enemy of its weapons is not typically easier than killing their core.

Ever tried using narrow-spectrum weapons in the lategame? The engine explosions aren't particularly reliable, even with the 50% proc chance, 'cause the total coverage of the enemy's engines is usually some single-digit percentage. But it is an inherently valuable effect, as long as you're not exploding their engines at point-blank range. If you had access to engine targeting... there's stuff you could do with it.

This is assuming that the targeting effect would work with engine explosion, disruption, critical hits. If it's just damage being transferred to the part in question, that's primarily going to be useful when targeting the core, not for much else. Well, it wouldn't be very useful when targeting engines or weapons. Transferring damage to non-armor utilities... is actually good if impact corruption works with it, those are the parts that you want to hit with impact weapons, most of the time. It would have some additional uses beyond that as well, certain enemies have some interesting utilities you could focus down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version