REXPaint > Everything REXPaint

While in the browser...

(1/3) > >>

gumix:
One thing I have sometimes to struggle with is painting same tiny tweak over multiple images.
While in the browser, RP allows for some limited painting, which is great for such tasks. Unfortunately switching layers by shortcut (1-4) seams to be disabled in browser mode. Is there anything else bound to these keys or are they simply disabled then?

If I'm in such luck and nothing is assigned, can we have layer switching by 1-4 keys active in browser mode too?

Cheers ;)

Kyzrati:
Well yeah the keys are theoretically available, for sure, but the reason you can't change that or most other settings at the time is that it's an entire different interface mode. Turns out you're still allowed to use the current tool to paint since the canvas is still visible, but the tools are hidden at the time.

Ideally both the browser and the paint tools could be visible at the same time, like might be allowed in RP 2.0, but they currently occupy the same space so having them both be visible (and therefore accessible) isn't really feasible. RP could be redesigned to require a wider aspect ratio but unfortunately that's no quick job, plus of course it would then not be as usable on smaller screens, and reduce maximum available canvas size :/

The only alternative is to actually duplicate a bunch of commands so they're also allowed in browse mode, which would really bloat the code, likely cause a lot of problems to work through and have to be removed/undone in the long term... Hm, I just spent a while trying to think through possible solutions and really don't see anything ideal for this.

BUT, you're gumix and I know you use REXPaint a lot for great work so... if all you need is the layer selection functionality (even though you can't even see the selected layer number xD), I've... made a patch for that ;). You can download it here (removed--see newer patch later in thread). I think it works okay, I mean at least it does what it's suppose to in my tests, though hopefully there aren't any side effects!

Note: One feature I definitely use a lot which can help if you're working between two specific images is ctrl-tab, which in the main paint mode switches back and forth between the latest two images as necessary. Very useful! (but I'm guessing you already know about that one)

gumix:
Looks like being gumix starts to be a good thing :) Switching layers is the only thing I miss in the browser, yesterday I've discovered how to resize image without touching a mouse: Ctrl+R W <width> ENTER H <height> ENTER ENTER that is soooooo nice! Of course I use a lot of ctrl+tab too, I don't even know when it was added, it's so helpful in my current tasks!

Thank you so much for the patch, 
I'll give it a whirl today! I'm not sure what should I do with skins.xt but maybe I'll figure it out somehow.

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: gumix on February 15, 2020, 07:37:22 AM ---Switching layers is the only thing I miss in the browser, yesterday I've discovered how to resize image without touching a mouse: Ctrl+R W <width> ENTER H <height> ENTER ENTER that is soooooo nice! Of course I use a lot of ctrl+tab too, I don't even know when it was added, it's so helpful in my current tasks!

--- End quote ---
Ah yeah I've never done that with the mouse myself--I'm always resizing things and keyboard is so much better for it :)

And the ctrl-tab thing has been in there since very early, since that was something I needed a lot :P

--- Quote from: gumix on February 15, 2020, 07:37:22 AM ---I'll give it a whirl today! I'm not sure what should I do with skins.xt but maybe I'll figure it out somehow.

--- End quote ---
Oh you just have to drop skins.xt in and overwrite the current file.

gumix:

--- Quote ---Oh you just have to drop skins.xt in and overwrite the current file.
--- End quote ---
Ok, sounds easy now. Thanks.

Btw, I'm just thinking about opposite solution, are there shortcuts for switching to next / previous file in the browser while in paint mode?

Now I'm a gumix the Cyborg!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version