Cogmind > Competitions

Weekly Seed Runs!!! [Alpha 1b]

(1/3) > >>

jimmijamjams:
G'day everyone!

I've been musing about setting this up for a while here and on reddit.  I've always found seed runs a fun way to put a community element into single player games and now that the functionality for seeds is working I think it's time to get something going for Cogmind.

My thoughts on this are as follows:

* Seeds are listed weekly (I may change this depending upon the interest)
* Seeds are based on suggestions by the community (if there are a lot I'll mix them up with some RNG to select them)
* You should only play the seed once
* I'll post the instructions on how to input seeds and post an image of the starting layout of items and the first level after the Scrapyard
* To avoid confusion each seed run will be listed in a new thread
* When posting results attach a copy of your scoresheet (instructions on how to do this will be provided)
* The will be 'Winners' in a variety of different categories (e.g. Highest Score, Most Parts Attached, Slowest Average Speed, Most Melee Kills) and people are free to find the category where they 'win' (e.g. Lowest Score, Highest Time Spent Naked, etc)
* The main thing is to create some conversation around playing the same seed and discuss how people like to play the game
So, drop a reply if you're interested, post some suggestions if you like, and if people are keen I'll set this up.  I'll also post a link to this on the subreddit to pick up people who might miss this post.

jjj

zxc:
I like the idea. A weekly seed could also be built into the game I imagine.

jimmijamjams:

--- Quote from: zxc on July 13, 2015, 04:08:22 AM ---I like the idea. A weekly seed could also be built into the game I imagine.

--- End quote ---

Welcome aboard!

It would be interesting if a weekly seed was set up in-game, but I've always enjoyed the forum interaction doing it the 'old fashioned way' :)

I'll wait about a day or so to see what interest there is and then start it up.

zxc:
It's more that I think a built-in weekly seed generator could encourage participation and subsequently interaction on the forum.

I've only been playing for two days, and a dozen games so far. I reached -1 on one of them but I've yet to replicate that since. So I probably wouldn't get far on a given seed just yet.

Kyzrati:
Well, I'd certainly join in, and I know at least several others who haven't seen this yet who are interested. Plus I'd advertise it on Twitter and no doubt get at least a few more participants that way.

Recognizing everyone for their interesting play styles and achievements will be fun (like I did with the 7DRL tournament).

I mentioned before that I think seed runs will be even more fun with Alpha 3 due to the addition of extra unchanging seed-based content in the form of Traps. But it doesn't hurt to get the format down now! As is it will mostly be route, map layouts, and items found that help define the run (robots not quite as much since their presence is more dynamic).

About the source of the weekly seed, it could easily be built into the game, though at least for now I think it's fine to do it manually, and somewhat more fun since it doesn't have to be a number :D

Edit: It should also be made clear that you're only supposed to play the seeded run once, because not everyone might be familiar with that rule.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version