Cogmind > Strategies

Enemy Robot Damage Resistances

(1/3) > >>

zxc:
Edit: Tables are neater on the Wiki http://gridsagegames.com/wiki/User:Zxc

Just making a table for my own reference. Values are damage modifiers, not actual resistances. This means that positive values mean a robot is vulnerable to that damage type, and negative values means it is resistant to it.

RobotKiThExEmImSlPiHauler+25%Brawler-25%-25%Carrier-50%+25%-25%-25%-25%Grunt+25%+25%Hunter-25%+25%Protector-25%Worker+25%Duelist-25%-25%MechanicOperator+50%+25%Programmer+25%-50%Recycler+25%Swarmer+25%Tunneler+25%Builder+25%Watcher+100%Sentry-50%-25%
Interesting tidbits from looking at all this: a lot of robots, especially civilian robots, have vulnerabilities to electromagnetic. Watchers take double damage from it. Programmers are resistant to electromagnetic however, and they are one of the most important enemies, alongside hunters. But hunters are vulnerable to Em and resistant to kinetic. Thermal seems pretty neutral / reliable, with few resistances or vulnerabilities.

Adraius:
Unless some of my very early experiences led me wrong, Programmers are harder to kill with EM weapons, and thus negative values represent resistances, not vulnerabilities.  I haven't tried using EM weapons on Programmers for ages though, for obvious reasons... so it's conceivable I've actually got it backwards... that would suck.  Seconding zxc's request for clarification!

EDIT: quick thing for Kyzrati - you may want to add Data Loss(database) to the list of fixes, or otherwise prepare for the exclamations of confusion if you don't! >:D

Kyzrati:
Adraius beat me to it: Actually, the numbers are reversed ;)

+100% for Watchers means they take double damage from it!

The stat is called "resistance" out of tradition, but the numbers more appropriately refer to "damage modifiers," hence the coloring difference in the stats (red is always bad, green is always good, according to all value coloring schemes). You'll notice the same usage in your own status screen, when you have resistances from special armor/utilities, for example.

(This mechanic was "borrowed" from UFO Defense, as that's where Cogmind's source originated, and I rather liked that form of representation.)

--- Quote from: Adraius on September 07, 2015, 09:17:42 PM ---EDIT: quick thing for Kyzrati - you may want to add Data Loss(database) to the list of fixes, or otherwise prepare for the exclamations of confusion if you don't! >:D

--- End quote ---
Oh whoops I left that off the public version of the changelog. Too many quick changes that day when we were discussing all that stuff!

zxc:
Wow! Ok! I had no doubt that positive numbers were resistances since the items you can wear give positive number resistances, and watchers being immune to EM seemed more likely to me than double damage.

Red being bad and green being good is all fine, but bad for who, the robot or the Cogmind? This is why I couldn't tell.

The wording as 'resistances' I think makes this meaning highly non-intuitive.

Kyzrati:
With Watchers I wanted to have an easy way to take them out (generally with EM blasts), and reasoned that they have a lot of sensitive equipment but are really light on armor, so EM should be the preferred way to deal with them.

Using EM against Programmers, on the other hand, is a really bad idea (EM weapons do less damage to begin with, even before modifiers...).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version