Cogmind > Strategies

Wondering about stealthiness

(1/5) > >>

Bjartr:
I haven't played more than an hour or so yet, but I'm wondering if there is there a way to determine how likely it is for enemies to notice me and start attacking. Similarly, is there a way to determine if having weapons unequipped vs equipped vs equipped & activated makes being noticed more likely?

Kyzrati:
They notice you as long as you are within their sight range (which is usually equal to your minimum/unmodified sight range), and if they take their turn while you are within that range.

So if you are moving very fast, their turn will come much later by comparison and you might be able to slip by/away if it's just a short distance. There is no specific indicator for this part--you'll have to get a feel for it (not knowing adds to the suspense!).

Know that when hostiles do spot you, their background glows for a bit to indicate that. I plan to add a tutorial message to the next version because the only place this very important mechanic/indicator is currently described is in the manual.

--- Quote from: Bjartr on May 19, 2015, 04:21:46 PM ---Similarly, is there a way to determine if having weapons unequipped vs equipped vs equipped & activated makes being noticed more likely?

--- End quote ---
Enemies don't care about what you have equipped or activated.

Stealthiness is best achieved by having the right utilities (which is even more important than being fast, but being fast helps). Things like various scanners and ECM. By the mid-game with the right build, if you're good you can avoid almost all confrontation. In the early game perfect stealth is more difficult to achieve, but it's less important because enemies are less dangerous.

jpka:
I'm not sure if this is old news but.... Watchers don't send any distress signals (or react to you in any way) if you stand still and don't do anyhting. At least scouts on -10. Come to think of it, the tutorial's chatty little bot said something about pretending to be heap of junk in the corner or something similar, I seem to recall.

biomatter:
Watchers are just really weird in general. You are right in that on the lower levels, they are not very likely to 'sound the alarms', but standing still definitely isn't good enough on the higher floors. No idea what the trigger is.

Draco18s:

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on May 20, 2015, 05:25:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bjartr on May 19, 2015, 04:21:46 PM ---Similarly, is there a way to determine if having weapons unequipped vs equipped vs equipped & activated makes being noticed more likely?

--- End quote ---

Stealthiness is best achieved by having the right utilities (which is even more important than being fast, but being fast helps). Things like various scanners and ECM. By the mid-game with the right build, if you're good you can avoid almost all confrontation. In the early game perfect stealth is more difficult to achieve, but it's less important because enemies are less dangerous.
--- End quote ---

Just a note from a new player: the description on ECM does not make it obvious that it makes you harder to be seen/shot at.  In fact, the description made me think it applied to hacking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version