Grid Sage Games > General & Off-Topic

Introduce Yourself!

<< < (2/51) > >>

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: Draxis on May 18, 2015, 09:10:12 PM ---I'm Draxis from Bay 12, or Dessard pretty everywhere else.  Been around since one of the X@COM ARRP releases (2011 maybe?), and following Cogmind since it first came out.  Pretty excited to play it.

Don't really play many other roguelikes, though I've beaten DoomRL a few times; pretty much just play rhythm games, K-ShootMANIA and Osu, and the odd strategy game.

It's a bit sad that smf doesn't assign each user a number from zero like some forums  :V

--- End quote ---
Draxis!!! Nice to see you here buddy. The good old X@COM days... that did all begin with the 2011 ARRP. I remember you even made our alien base mod :D. If Cogmind does well, Grid Sage Games will be bringing that project back big time.

Since you're into (some) roguelikes and rhythm games, have you tried Crypt of the Necrodancer yet?

Too bad about the SMF lack of user #, but I do like SMF since all my favorite forums use it.

--- Quote from: Paladin on May 18, 2015, 08:59:28 PM ---Hey, just noticed the forums and game opened up. I plan on nabbing the game soon, but first, a post here won't hurt. To keep it short, I have a decent background playing these types of games, and I'm really looking forward to jumping into Cogmind.

--- End quote ---
Welcome! Always great to have more roguelike players! The question becomes: ASCII or Tiles? :P

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: Arseface on May 18, 2015, 08:53:57 PM ---Just got the email and signed up for the forums. I'll be getting the game as soon as I finish reading all the material on it and writing this post.

- How did you learn about Cogmind?
I found out about Cogmind a few weeks ago and was skeptical after seeing the level layouts. Played the 7drl and found I had worried for nothing.

- What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
I play a lot of Brogue, and I played a lot of DoomRL and Sil before I decided I needed a new computer that came without a numpad. I'm looking forward to Caves of Qud's public steam beta as it will be the first update in years.
I've tried to get into DCSS, Tome 4, and Angband. For some reason they strike me as really bland. Autoexplore + tab/damage hotkey is very mentally numbing.
Brogue is my favorite roguelike by a mile.

- What are your other favorite games?
I play so many games in so many genres asking for favorites isn't fair :P
Recently I've been playing MH4U, Elements the Game, and running a D&D campaign. I've been thinking of diving back into pokemon as well.

- What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
For fun I'm working on a few tabletop games at the moment. One of which I'd like to become more than a hobby project. I'm also planning on doing a thru-hike of the Appalachian trail next year, so a bit of my time is spent preparing for that.

--- End quote ---
Glad to have you, and I can understand your concerns when looking at level layouts from above--though all that matters is what they feel like once inside :). And there have been massive improvements over the 7DRL. Probably spent at least a couple months on the generation improvements alone.

Cogmind is a lot more like Brogue in that there is no mind-numbing downtime, as you dislike about some other games. I completely agree, which is why Cogmind plays like it does ;)

Have fun hiking! I've always loved hiking, though my wife is totally not into it so for a while never really went much. But now that my son is growing up things are changing... he's still young so I mostly just carry him on my shoulders the whole way--more exercise for me =p. We have lots of trails right outside our place, so at least it's convenient!

Paladin:

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on May 18, 2015, 09:53:19 PM ---Welcome! Always great to have more roguelike players! The question becomes: ASCII or Tiles? :P

--- End quote ---

I've been using tiles so far, so I'll probably keep sticking with that before ASCII. I'm no stranger to it, especially after playing Dwarf Fortress and a few other RLs that use it, but I'm really digging the tile art so far.

kvee:
Hi, I'm Tom.
I don't play roguelikes that much (well I basically only played AliensRL for any significant amount of time), but I've always loved the concept and Cogmind looks like it might be just the roguelike to get into seriously. Ever since I've seen it for the first time, I couldn't wait for the release!

I play various genres, but classic FPS games like Doom and Quake 1-3 are special to me. At the moment I'm playing some Blur and OpenTTD :)

In my free time, I like to make music and code, sometimes combining these two into making music software. I have started some game projects, but I am yet to complete any of them. I usually get the engine up and running, but then just leave to do something else. Oh, and I also like retro development, especially for DOS or the NES.

I've just finished my test run of the game and it feels really fun! Can't wait to be at least able to get decently far into the game.

ozymandias79:
Hello this is Ozymandias79, from Ozstralia

Hi longtime fan of Roguelikes, and reddit lurker/poster. I originally discovered roguelikes when I was searching for free rpg style games about 13 years ago. I had played around a bit with rpgmaker and wanted to see what other games were out there.

The first roguelike I ran across was Zangband way back in 2002, I love the randomly generated world map insane monster types also being a Roger Zelazny fan I could appreciate the source material. Zangband lead me to Angband and the eternal Angband.oook.cz site I love seeing new and innovative takes on game I began variant diving kanband, gumband, steamband, I jumped on the roguelike bandwagon, te he. This lead me to ToME2, tales of middle earth created by the mighty Darkgod. I was here I had my first taste of modding/ hacking, made some custom maps and new grass, mountains water and and lava for the graphics map which ended up in the official version (along with scorpian and subzero from mortal combat they are still in the sprite map if you have a copy of tome you can check he he)

I played roguelikes on and off for the next couple of years discovering Nethack, DCSS, and other classics in the process. At some point I found out about the 7DRL and have been an avid follower as yet I have not created a complete game but not giving up! One game that brought me back to playing roguelikes after playing a bunch Elder Scrolls and minecraft(by playing I mean piling mod afetr mod into the game until its weeping and begging for mercy, My Minecraft had 120+ mods in it at one stage) was ToME4 seeing a new generation of roguelike that pushed the boundaries is awesome. Though ToME4 I discovered reddit and the awesome Roguelike community,  that was about 2 years go.

questions:
-How did you learn about Cogmind?
I heard about Cogmind when it was released as a 7drl way back in the day, and rediscovered it through Roguelikedev #showcase saturday and the fantastic devlog, great reading!

-What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
ToME4, DCSS, Brogue, I like Wazhack, DoomRL Veins Of The Earth (a T-engine game), Angband, a bit of FTL, Dwarf Fortress FUN!, ELONA+, Hengband, URR, Dungeonmans, Hyperogue.(Playing doesnt immply competency)  I collect rogueslike my roguelike folder currently has 17 Gb of games (although I have multiple copies for different version so that bumps it up a bit).

-What are your other favorite games?
I like a heavily modded Minecraft with mystcraft a mod based on The Myst, Riven games, I like old ZZT games, Final Fantasy, a bit a Terarria and Im a sucker for weird 7drls

-What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
I have three awesome kids and a wonderful wife, I do a bit of table top roll playing, recreational maths (I go on the occasional Collatz conjecture binge). Reading Pratchett, R.A Salvatore (the Drizzt creator), Redditing, I have a half a dozen smallish to medium project that Im hacking away at, and I tend write long  overly posts. : nice to meetcha.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version