Grid Sage Games
Based in Taipei, Taiwan
September 22, 2013
Press / Business contact:
New Taipei City
Taiwan (Republic of China)
Grid Sage Games is a one-man independent game studio based in Taiwan and operated by Josh "Kyzrati" Ge, specializing in traditional roguelikes and tactical games.
Before forming Grid Sage Games, Josh was making innovative roguelikes aimed at evolving the genre without abandoning its roots. As part of this effort he created a popular fan remake of X-COM: UFO Defense. In the middle of "X@COM" development, much of the same technology and techniques were applied to a short-term project for the 2012 7-Day Roguelike (7DRL) competition: Cogmind. Judges ranked the game as one of the best that year, and though development ceased after two months, it later went on to become the highest player-rated 7DRL of 2012.First Commercial Game
In 2013 Grid Sage Games was formed to create "modern traditional roguelikes" full time. Taking the Cogmind 7DRL as a successful prototype for a unique game, work began that summer to turn it into a much bigger and more polished production. The entire process has been documented via the ongoing dev blog, sharing progress and design philosophy with players and other developers alike. Even before its official release, Cogmind was recognized in IndieDB voting as one of the top 100 games of 2014, and by Rock, Paper, Shotgun as one of the Best Upcoming PC Games of 2015/2016. Two years after beginning development, Grid Sage Games released the first open alpha version on May 19, 2015. In both December 2015 and 2016 it was again voted Top 100 games of each year on IndieDB.Innovation
With Cogmind, Grid Sage Games continues to push the genre forward in many ways never seen before in a traditional roguelike. See a summary of firsts in action at www.gridsagegames.com/innovation.html.
There are far more images available for Grid Sage Games, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IndieDB Indie of the Year (Top 100, top 4 among roguelikes)" - Cogmind, December 2016
- "Destructoid Top 33 Indie Games to Look for in 2016" - Cogmind, January 2016
- "Rock, Paper, Shotgun Best Upcoming PC Games of 2016 (Roguelike Category)" - Cogmind, January 2016
- "IndieDB Indie of the Year (Top 100, top 4 among roguelikes)" - Cogmind, December 2015
- "Rock, Paper, Shotgun Best Upcoming PC Games of 2015 (Roguelike Category)" - Cogmind, January 2015
- "IndieDB Indie of the Year (Top 100)" - Cogmind, December 2014
- "Cogmind is an impressive merging of old and new school game design."
- RPS, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Cogmind is a wonderful thing, carefully and intelligently constructed, and with a gorgeous ASCII aesthetic."
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Cogmind swaps the traditional fantasy setting of most turn-based adventurers in favour of science-fiction, and finds plenty of interesting features in the mix."
- Graham Smith, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Grid Sage Games Development Blog
Development progress recorded in detail, with plenty of images, at gridsagegames.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Grid Sage Games
Pixel Artist, Freelancer