Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 06:57:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Death on the Threshold  (Read 1229 times)

Regalus27

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Death on the Threshold
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »

I floated silently down the corridor, sensors picking up nothing. I had been on this floor for two long, had to escape, had to escape, had to -- a blip appeared on my screen. It fuzzed out a moment later. My systems were corrupted, I knew that much, but that blip looked too solid to be fake. As I continued on again, the blip appeared again, a deep red. I decided to wait it out, and slipped into a side room. As the blip approached, I saw a weapon stockpile in the corner. Finally. As I approached the weapons, more blips began flooding the corridor I had just left. I grabbed the weapons, small sparks flying off my core as weapons were assimilated into my systems. There was no other way out, and no time to cut my way free. As the blips approached the door, I burst out, all weapons firing, and a bot flew back down the hallway, core smoking with dozens of burn marks. Instantly, return fire arced back down the hall, red light blinding me. My vision flickered. Power drained from my system, and I began to sink towards the ground. Internal alarms silently blared. My engines and two hover units gone. I raced down the corridor, taking out two more bots, but they were everywhere. Within moments, all my hover units and weapons were gone. With the calm precision of machinery, I dragged myself around a corner, red lasers still burning gouges in the ground. The room I entered held some heavy duty treads, but nothing I could use to escape. A tall, imposing robot jerked to life, lifeless vision sensors scanning me as the guns began firing. I turned to flee, to hide, to escape, but the robots behind me flooded into the corridor, shooting each other in their frenzy to kill. I dragged myself towards the treads, sparks flying as I drug against the floor. The treads assimilated quickly, nearly depleting my matter supply. Shots began blazing off my treads, and slowly, too slowly, I began to traverse the tight hallway, crushing bots in my path. More bots arrived, but they merely shot the bots in the hallway. As soon as the way was clear, I lifted the treads off the floor, their built-in hover units supporting their weight, and shot off across the floor with a small horde chasing me. Enemy fire coursed around me, scoring minor hits every now and then. Up ahead, I could see the exit. I was going to make it! As I dipped lower to assimilate a weapon for the next level, an explosion erupted around me. Fire and smoke obscured my sensors, and I was flung to the ground, treads evaporating in the onslaught of fire. The cannon dropped to the floor with a resounding clang, and I lunged at the exit. 30 meters. 25 meters. 20 meters. At 18 another explosion ripped into my core, and my vision went static. 15 meters. 10 meters. 5 meters. In the final moment before I crossed the threshold, I saw pixels turning red to my left, expanding until I was engulfed. My circuitry fused together, and I dropped to the ground, 3 meters from the exit. My fans went still, and I red lights crowd around me, drag me away from the exit. As everything went black, I was dumped into a chute, was tumbling into the darkness, everything was darkness, the darkness engulfing, devouring...

Retrieved from Cogmind Data Logs - Designation Regalus27

Laida

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Re: Death on the Threshold
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:05:39 AM »

So sad old post :(
May be you will be lucky next time!