Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 04:09:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Detaching any part in a room full of items destroys them  (Read 541 times)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Detaching any part in a room full of items destroys them
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »

This is a weird but funny bug. I encountered it when I saw a room full of scrap piles at a Lower Cave. Strangely enough, there's a door on it! So after searching through all of the scrap piles, I decided to drop an equipped item to manage my items around. In this case, I dropped an axe. And guess what? It got destroyed all of the sudden! The animation is exactly the same as if the axe is a processor, including the fading red color and the "detach processor" sound effect. And yet, the top-center message is: "Insufficient inventory capacity, dropped". Fortunately, I was able to reproduce the effect over and over again.

Here's what you need to do:
1) Go into a room (with a door). Fill the room with items so that there's no more empty space left. Then stand inside the room at a tile away from the door. I did it in a small cave room mentioned above.
2) Make sure your inventory is full.
3) Drop any equipped non-processor item (either with a mouse or keyboard).

If you attempt to do this next to the door (thus opening it), the bug will NOT appear. I'm not sure if it's possible to reproduce the bug at a main complex map, so this is something to be looked at too.

For demonstration, here's the GIF image.
Spoiler: GIF image (click to show/hide)

I've also attached the .sav file in case you need it.

P.S. I want my axe back....  :'(

Edit: The part destruction also occurs if you drop any item from you inventory, after following step #1 and 2 above.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:01:40 PM by DDarkray »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Detaching any part in a room full of items destroys them
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »

Yeah this isn't a bug, it's how item dropping has always behaved. There's even a special sound and animation when the item is destroyed (DDarkray you've been playing for ages how did you not know this :P).

Only one item can occupy a space, so if all spaces are full there's nowhere for dropped items to go and they are destroyed. There is also a range limit on item drops, so dropping on a pile of dozens of items without any holes whatsoever also destroys the item.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:45:33 PM »

But.......my axe....... :'(

It's pretty weird that opening up the scrap piles is capable of dropping items on the floor outside the room without destroying it even when the door is closed. So it's surprising to see why this can't be the case with dropping items from your equipment.

Also, this type of room (full of scrap piles) can really increase the odd of encountering this "bug-like situation". There's no warning like that of detaching processor, so once you drop an item, it's gone. Additionally, players won't understand how it could be destroyed because the top-center message does not accurately reflect on the exact explanation. It simply states that your inventory is full, but more details are needed. The log message also simply states that your item is dropped. Again, it's not simply dropped; it's destroyed.  :-\

I do wish that the item dropped could instead be moved to a space outside the room. That way, we won't have to see anymore accidental axe-casualty. But if that's not possible, there should at least be a confirmation with explicit details of what's going on. Because right now, it does seem like a bug to me. Imagine me dropping my long-range sensor array first. That would be terrible. :(

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »

Right, the relatively new scrap room was the main reason more people started even realizing this was a mechanic in the first place, and that room has been on the list to modify for a while.

So yeah this stuff is something to look at, but it's not a bug--intended mechanic that's only become a little more troublesome due to newly added content. So it doesn't have very high priority for now.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon