Grid Sage Forums

• April 24, 2024, 02:21:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Map ends abruptly  (Read 674 times)

zrn

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Map ends abruptly
« on: November 18, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »

Was watching someone on twitch, their map just ended in a seemingly glitchy way, I'm not really sure how they managed to produce it though.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DeterminedProductiveBeanTheRinger

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Map ends abruptly
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »

They just reached the edge of the map area, which technically due to how it's implemented will be black like that. True that it probably shouldn't normally be exposed like that, though know that it can happen if someone digs it out, some explosive went off near the map edge, or there was a fight that destroyed the walls there.

This particular case happens to be something that can definitely be addressed, though. Ideally I'd need the map seed to be able to test this one--it's caused by a a prefab that in this particular layout managed to dig itself right up to the map edge.
I'd need the map seed to be able to test this one--it's caused by a certain type of prefab that digs into the walls.

Any way to get the seed from this run? I don't see this player on the leaderboards so they might be using a different name.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zrn

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »

Unfortunately i wasn't able to get the seed, by the time i asked him about it he was already on a new save. Tbh I didn't know that the map ending in blackness was a thing that you could see in normal gameplay by destroying walls, I assumed the map ended with "unnaturally hard rock wall" or something that was immune to damage, I probably should have checked that out before posting this. If i encounter any map gen that generates this situation in the future, i'll post the seed.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 03:05:45 AM »

Yeah it's still something I should address though. There must be some type of prefab embedding in cave-type maps that is allowed to burrow to the edge, as long as it doesn't pass the edge.

And it's easy to get seeds from previous runs by checking the relevant scoresheet, or user/scorehistory.txt.

(Ideally I would've made the outer edges some kind of special material that blocks everything, but it was too late before I thought of it and it became rather problematic to add so I left it as is. In any case, it doesn't come into play all that often.)

Dullahan

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »

I saw the same thing on my latest run, didn't take a screenshot but it was in deep caves, just south of the entrance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Score :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:21:54 PM »

Cool, thanks, just having the seed and knowing the map will be enough to see where it might happen. And it won't have anything to do with your actions--it's just how the cave map generators work, sometimes allowing certain special subarea types to be too close to the edges of the map apparently.