Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 12:50:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #102 [Beta 3.1] [Seed: HardlightRagnarokMatrix]  (Read 2363 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #102 [Beta 3.1] [Seed: HardlightRagnarokMatrix]
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »

This week's seed: HardlightRagnarokMatrix

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: HardlightRagnarokMatrix] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

joonazan

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #102 [Beta 3.1] [Seed: HardlightRagnarokMatrix]
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »

Probably the stealthiest run I've done so far. I got found some exits early game by getting map data from consoles.

In a stage with a huge amount of hackable doors I found a room full of drone pods. Although I filled my inventory with them, I failed to get much value from exploring with them. My first one immediately wandered into a trap. :'(

After some unwanted attention I had a thrusters and my inventory so I decided to go into the garbage chute voluntarily. There I found a nuke launcher and some other gear that was so broken that I didn't manage to get much use out of it.

The nukes seemed to have no effect on the trash compactors so I exited, only to find a pack of virii. I launched a nuke, but instead of obliterating the pack, it just blew up the launcher. WTF?

Died in Factory

Evolutions (5)             2500
Robots Destroyed (41)      205
Value Destroyed (1400)     1400
Prototype IDs (6)          120
Alien Tech Used (0)        0
Bonus (0)                  0
              TOTAL SCORE: 4225

The run also contained very effective use of a door and a greatsword and having trouble with a Slayer (which despite the name had seemed like a fairly weak opponent in earlier runs)

ventricule

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »

That was a very interesting run.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I felt like a powerhouse until factory, where my hubris brought me to alert level 4 and ARCs spawning all over the place, forcing me to dump everything and go naked to reach the next level. It's been a nonstop struggle from there, relying most of the time on just my spear to handle solo enemies and running away from everything else. I escaped caves with 50 core HP. Luckily, zhirov's been nice to me, and I was in slightly better shape on reaching research, or so I thought, because I've been destroyed straight after entering by a seemingly infinite crowd.

I'm always amazed by how desperate some situations feel, yet are not entirely lost and salvageable (at least for quite some time). I don't know of any other roguelike giving that exhilarating feeling of just barely surviving until the next level, starting to feel better, and getting crushed again to barely continue, and so on.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:21 AM »

This was a fun run.  Went through storage and stocked up on armor and drones.  Went through my favorite lower caves branch and got access to allies and supplies.  Used the upper cave branches to get through factory quicker.

Caves -4 gave me some Research intel, including a Research exit.  It turned out to be Testing, and I strolled through there stocking up on goodies.

On -2, I found an exit after picking up a ton of HERF cannons.  That's when things got a bit silly.  The following is very, very, spoilery.

Score sheet:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:33:57 AM by Happylisk »

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »

This was my most corrupted run ever:

Highest Corruption         43
  Average Corruption       13
  Corruption Purged        54

Somehow on every factory level and above I managed to get ~15% corruption early in the level: assembled with melee weapons spawning on top of me, wastes with EMPs or just programmers rolling high on corruption chance :/ I didn't find ANY System Backup Modules until -4, where one of the branches had a stock of live operators. So I performed some surgery. I am bad at surgery. Still, I didn't stop until I got 4 system backup modules and then I wore them ALL. At least in this peaceful branch :) Oh, as a measure of how corrupted my systems were, at some point I remembered only 350 part IDs. Though that number must've dropped even further by the end of the game.

I was trying a combat run and this time I was far more successful than usual. I found some nice hackware, so I wanted to find exits via hacking. I guess my mistake was sticking to these hackware utilities while I had ~20% system corruption. I should've just destroyed them, put better utilities in their place and roll through the main halls faster. I also wasted slots on sensor arrays and signal interpreters. On treads I was too slow to just go around the enemies, or utilize these parts in a relevant way.

There was also an episode (well, more like a feature-length movie) of hover melee combat. It was started by finding a fabricator with preloaded Cmb. Gravmag System, where I managed to fab them twice (resulting in 4 Cmb. Gravmags), in a low factory level (I think -7?). Then I found a nice stash of melee weapons + a few prototypes, all of this while running low on the projectile weapons. So I finished factory level with this build and went through entire caves routine, changing only once I got to the factory again.

I was hoping to get into a lot of branches, but I had very little luck with that. I actually found a lot of main exits, but still roamed the levels in search of branches, at least in the factory levels. Found only (given how much effort I put in finding the branches) DM and E. Proxy caves had something I've never seen before:

A large 0b10's base.

Brute forcing my way through the main halls was surprisingly exhausting. Final score:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:09:17 PM by Valguris »

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »

A little late to the show, but here it is. My first seed run of the month!  ;D

I haven't done pure stealth/flight build for a while, so that's what I did this run. The setup is pretty simple: Get Transport Network Coupler from haulers, hack terminals for Hauler Manifests to see if there's anything interesting, and then go around for some prototype guns and cannons. Because I'm not planning to upgrade my weapon slot, I want to make sure I have strong enough weapons to make up for my lack of weaponry. It's important to get as much stuff done as possible in the Material floors due to the lack of programmer squad. As a result, I got to have a bunch of Imp. Flight Units, Adv. Sensor Arrays, Adv. Signal Interpreter, and Hacking Suites by the time I enter Factory level. That way, I can immediately transition to pure stealth build.

One of the things I haven't really done before is calculating my energy use and mass support to see if the switch is feasible or not. At times, if I don't efficiently assign my evolution points, I ended up having too little energy to sustain my flight build or too little mass support to equip what I need. So before entering Factory level, I had to plan out my evolution to make sure if I can go all-out flight build. Fortunately, with just 2 power and 4 propulsion, I can exactly support everything I need: Med. Storage Unit, Sensor Array, and katanas. All the rest of the utilities are made up of weightless, non-energy-consuming processors such signal interpreter and hacking suites.

For the most part of Factory levels, I kept sticking to my 4 Imp. Flight Units and stacking hackwares. Eventually, I got to find Long-range Sensor Arrays, obtained and fabricated Exp. Signal Interpreter, and even more hackwares. Now I could proceed to go for a straight win like this, but what I really want to do is to go for a lot of branch visits in hope of finding a lot of lore treasures.  :)

The following contains minor spoilers regarding Factory and Research branches. Proceed at your own risk!

Spoiler: Scoresheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:49:31 PM by DDarkray »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »

However, once I entered Research branch and then Testing, everything immediately went downward. Because I forgot to turn off my katana, I accidentally sliced up a serf (without killing it) which called for distress signal to alert a nearby researcher.
I guess that means you ignored the melee warning (and 500ms block) with a researcher in view? I could add an option to adjust the block time if necessary...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »

I guess that means you ignored the melee warning (and 500ms block) with a researcher in view?

The researcher is out of my visual range, but I still can see it using my sensor array. But when I hit a serf, it called for distress signal to alert the out-of-range researcher to my position. No melee warning is taking place.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »

Oh okay, it's out of your visual range. That's a different story...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon