Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:25:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Alert lvl getting too high too fast using launchers?  (Read 2208 times)

LuckyLuckLuc

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Alert lvl getting too high too fast using launchers?
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »

Since the recent update, I've notice that the alert level is going up crazy fast from using launchers. After just 3-4 battles using a launcher, i'm already getting assaults sent to me at -9. It was hard enough before due to the engineers getting in the way and having tons of investigations coming your way, but i'm not sure i'm liking the new change to add alert lvl to damaging walls for launchers. Using launchers seems way to penalizing now because of how much attention it attracts and might as well not bother except for the occasional swarmers.
Check me out on twitch or youtube! Streaming cogmind and the like usually!

www.twitch.tv/luckyluckluc2
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKdwXQK6nQT8piuDY1kZFtw

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Alert lvl getting too high too fast using launchers?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »

Well launchers are basically the 'nuclear option' for dealing with threats. Being the most powerful weaponry in the game, it makes sense that they cause the most alert.

Alert level 1 is enough to get assaults called on you occasionally.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:28:58 AM »

Assaults in early floors was perfectly possible already, since it really doesn't require that much alert to get them called down on you, but this could also be a factor of whether or not you destroy explosive machines as well, since those also indirectly fall under the umbrella of the changes.

I used launchers a fair bit in my latest stream (and blew up lots of machines) and ended up getting into high-sec, which I've never done before...

I was going to leave launchers as they were, but during Beta 3 zxc emphasized the lack of consistency with the effect of other non-AOE weapons destroying terrain.

Because I think it's probably a bit excessive now, rather than tweaking explosive results in particular, I could simply lower the overall value of wall/door destruction with regards to alert. This would maintain consistency and reduce alert spiking, while technically reducing the consequences of non-explosive wall destruction even further than what it was before.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:24:41 AM »

Because I think it's probably a bit excessive now, rather than tweaking explosive results in particular, I could simply lower the overall value of wall/door destruction with regards to alert. This would maintain consistency and reduce alert spiking, while technically reducing the consequences of non-explosive wall destruction even further than what it was before.

As someone who bristles with cannons, I wholeheartedly endorse this change

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:19:04 AM »

That might be all right. However, I would suggest an effect on alert which depends on the current depth. At endgame, the walls can be worth more alert. I think this is fair because the game is meant to be harder as you get further up.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:26:27 AM »

True, though the difficulty already increases in other ways as well--do we really need the alert to go up faster, too? Combat runs already have enough alert to deal with, not to mention wall destruction is more rampant in later floors with more powerful weaponry (and larger explosions), something that would already increase over Beta 3 levels if retaining some amount of alert from AOE.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »

But difficulty is fun

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »

For whatever it's worth, I had a winning run yesterday where I triggered high alert for the first time ever.  It happened in -3 and I wasn't using launchers.  However, I facerolled -3 with this squad, which is probably what did it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I see the value of the cetus reward - you just gotta be prepared to deal with the consequences!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:38:22 AM by Happylisk »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »

For the next release I decided to go with depth-based value, which will result in lower value for most of the complex than what it is currently, even zero value at the lowest two depths.