Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 12:27:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Any plans to eventually release cogmind on nintendo switch / consoles?  (Read 1288 times)

old_bear_in_woods

• Unaware
    • View Profile

I got a switch recently, and it has been great. The ability to seamlessly play either on the television, or to grab it (even mid-game!) and head out in portable mode has been a revelation.

However, the console is severly lacking in more complex turn based games. I've been getting by on has-been heros, which is pretty good. There are also a few others, like mario vs. rabbids (which I haven't tried yet).

I dearly love roguelikes, and would dearly love to see cogmind on the switch. Are there any plans to release cogmind on the switch, or the ps4 or xbone?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Any plans to eventually release cogmind on nintendo switch / consoles?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »

I agree we need more traditional roguelikes on consoles, but Cogmind isn't the best fit for that type of platform. Visually it wouldn't work because everything is too small unless viewed on large displays, and the mechanics and UI are tied to those sizes. Plus it'd be tough to devise a controller-friendly interface scheme--Cogmind was designed from the ground up for the platform it's on, and a port would require almost a complete redesign! (I've mentioned this stuff in the FAQ.)

I know the relatively new roguelike Tangledeep is working on a Switch version. That game doesn't have the same depth as Cogmind, but might be something to check out and see if you're interested (it's on Steam now).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

old_bear_in_woods

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »

Thanks for the thoughtful answer.

I know you're right... but I still dream of portable cogmind  ;).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

Hehe, oh I'll dream along with you :P

I mean if anything extra portability means access to more players/markets, which means more revenue for future development without having to rebuild from scratch. But in this case the ports mean a redesign anyway! At the same time, I'm happy with the unique game that Cogmind's become precisely because it didn't try to be a game that could also suit other environments, instead taking full advantage of its own.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon