Grid Sage Forums

• April 18, 2024, 12:30:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: News tab in menu flashes yellow spuriously  (Read 546 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
News tab in menu flashes yellow spuriously
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:35:52 AM »

Sometimes when going into the menu after starting a session, the News tab is highlighted in Yellow as if something changed even though the content appears to be the same. I have also seen that sometimes it has a "0" at the very end of the News text, perhaps this is causing the game to think it changed?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: News tab in menu flashes yellow spuriously
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:00 AM »

I'll need to see a screenshot, since no one else has reported this and I haven't seen it / don't see it. Certainly it hasn't changed since the last update for Steam release.

Might be something unique about your internet connection? Maybe it's appending something to the end of the message. If you see this, also a copy of run.log would be helpful.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 05:57:42 AM »

I think a run.log and a screenshot with the 0 are attached now, though the preview won't let me see them.

This is running under wine-1.8.7 on Debian Linux in case that's relevant.

Joshua

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:59:37 AM »

And here is a screenshot of starting Cogmind the very next time with the news flashing again, and the associated run.log.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:14:48 AM »

Interesting, thanks for the report! Looks like this has something to do with how Wine (perhaps that specific version, not sure) sometimes terminates the server connection! So the OS is definitely relevant and probably why we haven't heard of it yet--this doesn't happen on Windows (and doesn't seem to happen for the average Linux player, either...). I'll see what I can do.

Edit: I've added a new hackish method that should prevent this in the future, let me know if you see it after the next public update.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon