Grid Sage Forums

• April 20, 2024, 12:26:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: typos in lore text  (Read 542 times)

zill

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
typos in lore text
« on: November 06, 2017, 01:43:50 AM »

typos:

instead of "go the offensive" it should be "go on the offensive"

instead of "as long as properly configured" it should be "as long as it is properly configured"

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: typos in lore text
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:48:34 AM »

Oops! That first is definitely a typo, though the second is intentionally written with that construction (no need to repeat the subject of the sentence twice in this case).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zill

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:02:01 AM »

It just reads wrong to me.  You could replace "as long as" with "if", or omit it all together.  Or just ignore me, i'm no grammar expert.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:06:56 AM »

Yeah I can see that, it's just a bit verbose to repeat the subject though, and technically unnecessary. It's grammatically correct, but in this case it's a question of what you're used to seeing. "As long as" and "if" mean the same thing here, and are interchangeable, though notice that  "if properly configured..." could similarly become the more explicit "if it is properly configured...", it's just more verbose despite carrying the same meaning. The first mention of the subject in either case can be omitted.

That said, I'll change it to "if" anyway because that's what readers are more used to seeing so it won't be as controversial!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon