• March 28, 2024, 11:53:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cogmind beta 3 [SPOILER] thread  (Read 5063 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind beta 3 [SPOILER] thread
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »

You can get lucky and obtain the codes while at Zion. You can kill the Imprinter in Zion to gain access. You can break the walls/door with a number of weapons (for instance, moldy) and you can avoid entering caves until you've prepared strong enough weaponry from factory.

Also, join us on discord!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:18:55 PM by zxc »

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 06:14:45 AM »

Yeah I figured that killing Imprinter was guaranteed access, I just feel a pinch guilty murdering all those innocent derelicts along with him.   Interesting suggestion on hunting for a weapon in factory strong enough for the doors before going in.  Problem is, the doors are 45 armor and have a -25% modifier to damage, so there's not much early game weaponry that can get through that.  Even phase sabers don't do the trick.  My napkin math indicates that a cooled particle cannon in overload mode with a particle charger should do that trick, but getting both of those is not a given.

The end of deep caves is my favorite part of the game so far.  So creepy and thematic.  And hard.  Only pulled it off once so far.

I'll give discord a shot!

e: This just caught my eye in your post ("for instance, moldy"), what did you mean by that? 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:47:03 AM by Happylisk »

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 09:10:10 AM »

Doors don't resist thermal damage. Cooled weapons do double damage while overloaded, right? So pretty much any cooled thermal weapon is capable of blasting through the doors, even without any particle chargers.
There could be some non-cooled cannons that combined with particle chargers are strong enough...
Note that Fortified Walls around the entrance have different resistances. A rank 4 (?) Greatsword is enough to penetrate them on a good roll.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 10:53:53 AM »

Ah, thank you.  I didn't realize that doors weren't resistant against thermal, and didn't realize the wall around the door had different stats.  That means a good melee weapon or a cooled prototype (even without the charger) should do the trick.  Finding either of those on -7 isn't too hard. 

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »

Note also that you can boost melee damage significantly with momentum (e.g. core hover running at the wall/door with 3 momentum).

Moldy = molecular deconstructor. You might find it in caves sometimes.

There might be other ways of getting in. The core of it is destroying the walls or doors.

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »

Ah yeah, didn't recognize your shorthand.  Ironically, in my most recent run where I killed Imprinter to get into the caves, I had the MD in my inventory.  For some reason I thought it only worked on bots, didn't realize it could be applied to terrain.  Besides getting you into deep caves, the MD is really, really handy if you go all the way in there.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »

Yeah I'm just making up terms now. We already have the cheesemaker. May as well throw in moldy.
Pages: 1 [2]