Grid Sage Forums

• April 16, 2024, 09:51:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Unable to save or Export work in REXPaint  (Read 2596 times)

EndPhaze

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Unable to save or Export work in REXPaint
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »

As the title implies, I am unable to save any of my work while using the application.
I'm assuming you save by clicking 'Save'  > naming your work > hitting the 'enter' key, just like in any other program. But maybe I missed something in the read me?
When I try to close the application after 'saving' it consistently tells me that I am about to close the application without saving my work.

+I've already:
-Restarted computer
-Reinstalled
-Moved REXpaint to a different location and tried the same process

I've tried many things to fix this already, this seems like the next best step.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the read.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Unable to save or Export work in REXPaint
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:50:40 PM »

Hi EndPhaze! Yeah saving is as simple as that and there shouldn't be any problems there (ctrl-s also works). Also exporting--these features are as straightforward as one would expect.

You're seeing this behavior because your OS security settings (or anti-virus, one or the other) are preventing REXPaint from writing files. REXPaint.exe needs to have write permissions in its own directory for it to save anything (including any changes to options, by the way!).

There are a few other requirements as well, as listed in the readme included with the download, though most users meet them all without any special changes to their system.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »

I can reproduce such behaviour by running RP without 'images' subdiretory, EndPhaze is that your case?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »

Ah good point that would be possible, too, since RP assumes the directory exists. Although EndPhaze would've had to have deleted it manually for that to happen...

EndPhaze

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »

Would that mean that inside of the REXpaint file I would need to see a images.dll file?
I've included a screenshot of what my file directory looks like currently.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 07:20:23 PM »

No, gumix is just referring to the /images/ subdirectory, which you have there. What you should do is move REXPaint outside the Program Files directory on your computer. For example if you just put it on your desktop it'll work fine. Or anywhere else that Windows is not so strict with file permissions.

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:27:28 AM »

Oh, problem was more obvious than I thought :)
No 'images' happened to me once when doing images backup by drag & drop... to the same drive which resulted in a directory move instead of copy ;)

the man with only one arm

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »

I am experiencing the same thing. Entering a filename and hitting the Enter key does nothing.
I also tried copying the files to the desktop as well as executing the application as Administrator.
Export works just fine.

(Using v1.03 on Windows 10)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »

You'll have to be more specific about "does nothing." I imagine it's changing the name of the image within REXPaint, right? As in a message appears at the top saying "Saved [filename]"

This is because RP doesn't know that it's been blocked for some reason, and the causes of no actual file being produced will be something on your OS side, as mentioned in the reply above. Windows or your anti-virus are preventing REXPaint.exe from actually saving the image permanently.

the man with only one arm

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »

:) Sure thing. I took some pictures to document my steps.

Issue01: Executed REXPaint with administrative rights.
Issue02: Finished my art-work that I would like to save.
Issue03: Hitting the "Save" button
Issue04: Entering a proper unforgettable name for my artwork.
Issue04: Hitting the "Enter" key on my keyboard.
At this point there is no response from the application.
Issue04: Hitting the TAB key, thinking to myself...."Myself, sometimes I can get a reaction if I hit TAB!"
Still nothing...
Issue04: Hitting the Enter key again, thinking "Did I really hit that key before?".
Still nothing....
Issue02: After desperately hitting the ESC and giving up on saving my artwork.
The application returns without saving anything. 

The application does not "react" to hitting the Enter key, once a name have been provided. The dialog box does not disappear, not does the windows status line change content. The only reaction, by the application, is to 1) Entering a name, and 2) Hitting the ESC key.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »

Huh okay then if the dialogue box doesn't even close, then this would likely be different from what OP encountered and possibly has something with REXPaint itself. But this has never happened for the massive number of other users over the years so it's quite baffling xD

Regardless of the saving issue, can you export art and create the PNG file? Whether or not that's possible might shed some more light on this.

Another possibility: You don't happen to have some odd keyboard, do you? Maybe your Enter key is remapped to another physical location? For example, can you click on a color in the palette, change its values, then press Enter to successfully change the palette color? (Or do you have to press Escape to get out of the color dialogue and fail to change the color?)