Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:17:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Theorycrafting for specific items  (Read 2264 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Theorycrafting for specific items
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:10:39 AM »

I have been trying to think of a good use for this late game item, but nothing seems compelling enough to give up a larger volley.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Theorycrafting for specific items
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:25:31 AM »

Others can detail their own experiences, but I will say that some players swear by this utility. It's extremely effective for... certain builds :)

(In my own typical combat runs with numerous weapons and slots I sometimes find myself using it as well.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »

If you think about it, a volley of 3 random weapons takes up the same amount of time unit as firing a single weapon 3 times with that item. Really, the value depends on that one weapon. If it has an OP stat, I would rather use it at faster firing rate than to use a volley of random weapons.

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »

That item is excellent. For sure. You maybe haven't seen the most powerful weapons in the game yet.

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »

QC is an excellent item. One of the best really. It singlehandedly enables low weapon slot combat builds. You can also combine it with weapon cyclers. At best, you can be sustain fire some of the best late game cannons (backed up by particle accelerator and whatnot) at 50 time units!!!

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »

I had a gun slinging run yesterday that found a QC on -2 and decided to switch tactics.  I turned it on, plugged in a particle charger, turned a HERF cannon and, and switched to a Nova cannon when fighting programmers.  Those aren't even the best cannons, as zxc alluded to, and I was killing most enemies before they could fight back.  I didn't even find heat to be a problem, my problem was draining energy too fast.  I think a build dedicated around the QC needs either 3 power sources, or at least a good energy well or power amplifier.  The QC is an amazing item. 

I hadn't planned on going QC that run so I had 5 gun slots that became basically useless.  It made me want to try a build where you never go bast 2 weapon slots, focus on cannons, and have all the extra support slots to support the QC (or perhaps even hybrid hacking).  Anyone have experience with a non-melee combat build that never upgraded weapons slots? 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:40:05 AM »

Anyone have experience with a non-melee combat build that never upgraded weapons slots? 
That sounds like the hover combat meta which has been fairly popular :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 07:32:55 AM »

I never use anything besides treads.  I guess it's time to change that!

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:32:33 AM »

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. I think (despite reading the manual) I had a misunderstanding of the time cost for firing weapons. It definitely makes a lot more sense now.

Tempting to go for a high accuracy cannon run now and see if a few targeting processors will mitigate the downside of cannons blowing holes in walls. :)