Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:53:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: First combat win  (Read 1926 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
First combat win
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:06:47 AM »

Scoresheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is my first proper combat / heavy treads win and my second win in a row. I guess this might be more than luck, now. Watching zxc's combat video helped a lot too. I started this run not even intending to go for a win -- instead I wanted to get the lore attached to Extension.

Spoilers about the mid/late-game here:

Lessons learned:

Stopping and thinking helps a lot.

All the stealth skills (positioning, kiting, sensors, cutting through walls, when to use launchers) still help. As someone pointed out, they help relatively more when you're on treads than flying. The much larger inventory you can support with treads also helps enormously.

It's important to be careful about choosing evolutions. I had got into a habit of almost always choosing utilities after seeing mtf's combat hacker video, with just the bare minimum of power, propulsion, and weapons, but that is actually quite an unbalanced build and in some ways considerably harder than taking a few more weapons and propulsion slots. It also really helps to take an extra power slot before you really need it, instead of after.

zxc's combat video helped me think differently about evolutions and also with positioning when fighting hunters. It also showed me how to use tractor beams. :)

I'm also starting to suspect alert spirals less when you're on treads since your turns moving take much longer, giving it more time to go down. I always seem to get swarmed by armies of bots when I'm flying and get spotted by one, that didn't seem to happen on treads even though I was staying around and fighting them.

You can win even with suboptimal play: I carried around several items I didn't really need for large portions of the game.

Question about Extension: I see messages there about summoning garrison reinforcements, but I've never found a garrison on that level. Is there one?

Question about lore in a certain location:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: First combat win
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:33:13 AM »

Mmmmm, a good launcher can carry you far :D (grrr, I didn't get to see one in my last two runs...)

And congratulations! Combat wins are tougher, but that's a great list of observations you've accumulated there.

Question about Extension: I see messages there about summoning garrison reinforcements, but I've never found a garrison on that level. Is there one?
Huh, there is in fact not. So I wonder how would you get messages like that? You sure that's where you were at the time? Sure it wasn't one of the other similar dispatch messages? Screenshot? I don't believe anyone has seen this before. I know I haven't and I've visited Extension a fair bit myself...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:59:38 AM »

Nice! Congrats!  :D

It's certainly tougher to play with combat run, but those branches made it a lot easier to do so. Very, very nice build at the end.

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »

Huh, there is in fact not. So I wonder how would you get messages like that? You sure that's where you were at the time? Sure it wasn't one of the other similar dispatch messages? Screenshot? I don't believe anyone has seen this before. I know I haven't and I've visited Extension a fair bit myself...

I think it may be when you destroy an energy cycler that the message says something about this, but I am not 100% sure. I will try to take a screenshot next time I see it.

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »

Well done! Two wins in a row with a combat win is anything but luck. Super glad the video helped. You've really figured things out quickly.

@Kyzrati, you get the messages when you
. I wondered about this too whenever I went to extension.

Regarding the lore,

I have to disagree on one point though, about alert level being easier with treads. Moving slower is a disadvantage as you get caught up in areas moving around and looting for longer, allowing more time for more patrols and squads to find you. With flight, if you aren't killing bots, you actually generate about zero alert. It only seems like a lot of enemies because you're not clearing them out and enemies spotting you attract other nearby dudes.

However, taking your time does allow alert to die down. Really it's best to either take a long time and wait around in safe tactical positions, or find exits quickly. Extermination squads don't outpace alert dissipation (abused in the past and hopefully due for a change when Kyzrati runs out of things to do).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:54:40 AM by zxc »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:59:56 AM »

@Kyzrati, you get the messages when you...
I wondered about this too whenever I went to extension.
Oh that message? But it doesn't say anything about garrisons... The wording is

(abused in the past and hopefully due for a change when Kyzrati runs out of things to do).
Tomorrow, surely :P

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 01:05:01 AM »

Ah so they come from the bottom-centre of the map.

Yeah I couldn't remember the wording exactly.

Joshua

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »

Here is a screenshot. The message is: "Persistent threat to transfer network, dispatching garrison force."

I was also amazed to see that the rumor about robots disguising themselves was true. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 12:46:46 AM »

Some rumors are just rumors, some you actually have to be on the lookout for ;)

And yeah I'll change the message. I forgot the transfer network message mentioned the word "garrison," though as I said in the Bugs board that was intended simply as "additional bots meant to guard" the network. It'll be renamed "additional forces" to avoid confusion.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »

That's what I was talking about when I mentioned 'relay things', not the energy cycler.