Grid Sage Forums

• April 26, 2024, 06:40:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: An Infiltration Utility  (Read 800 times)

AMetricSetun

• Unaware
    • View Profile
An Infiltration Utility
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »

A Utility Processor (meant as a tool not a playstyle)  - The "Remote Authentication Token"
    - 0 or 1 mass - Little or no energy/heat upkeep - Low Coverage & Low Integrity   -  Rare-ish

The thematic idea is that LRC-V3 was built by MAIN.C, and it can interface with MAIN.C parts, so it could blend in with the helper bots, if it can circumvent the Signature Authentication system.
"Timestamp Hash Discrepancy, Audit Required...."

The utility is an passive utility - it works until unequipped or destroyed (which would discard it)..   On Equip - The cogmind starts Legacy MAIN.C routines  -  completing the disguise - each turn is taken by a MAIN.C AI routine until the player discards it. This uses one of my favorite mechanics, which is "strategic loss of control".

I would not want to make other gameplay options inferior or change the overall feel of the game. In particular, this should not allow the player to get close to the stairs without danger.

Implementation shouldn't be too hard - I imagine temporarily "teleporting" Cogmind to a nonexistent square off the map, and "replacing" it with a specially marked Green MAIN.C Bot with Cogmind stats, which can run around repairing walls, cleaning matter filters, etc.
I could sketch a method based on pointers, although I imagine you already designed a library with appropriate containers for managing the bots.
On unequipping or destruction - just "delete" the fake bot and swap cogmind back in. The RAT utility should have coverage set to MAX, so that when Fakemind is hit, the utility is destroyed immediately and Cogmind is then swapped back in - This should prevent using it in the middle of combat.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:01:42 PM by AMetricSetun »

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: An Infiltration Utility
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:31:32 AM »

I love the idea of disguises. However, I'm not sure about trying to mimic the loadout of the robot you're disguised as though. That sounds too difficult+clunky to pull off.

Maybe just a disguise which has a % chance to lose integrity each turn it's active, and it's basically a 'civilian bot disguise', and nothing else is needed.