Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 12:58:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Universal weapons for light builds.  (Read 1097 times)

TheJournier

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Universal weapons for light builds.
« on: October 24, 2017, 01:17:51 AM »

No sure how this would work, I thought a bit about this with the WAND (since deleted the thread to include it in a more broad idea) thing I was talking about. It would interesting to have multiweapon/universalweapons with toggleable features. For example weapons that melee/shoot, or hack/em damage.

There's obviously a concern with balance. So my thought for a trade-off with using swiss army knife weapons/tools is that they tend to do poorly in each class based on their level. They exchange functionality with portability. So for example EM./hacker could be restricted to melee hacks (unlike ranged hacking) and their em damage tends to be short range or weak for their lvl.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Universal weapons for light builds.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 01:42:09 AM »

I think this need is mostly satisfied by carrying extra inventory items that you swap in to serve each purpose. That's how pro flight players do it anyway.

Relying on this approach is better than complicating individual items and the UI issues that would arise with them. (Notice there are no items with multiple modes--this is intentional!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

TheJournier

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 02:32:53 AM »

Yeah... that's hard early on without getting that 3rd propulsion, a competent cooler/engine, because large/medium storage (Only ones worth having are heavy). The Hover can possibly fit 1 small storage with just two, but the flight units, forget it.. too weak.
XD ^

That being said, I understand. It is a fairly complicated game already ;).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 02:57:10 AM »

Very true! Early on your slot count is low so trying to focus on anything can be tough. Best to grab what you can and at least head up another floor.

HybriD

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »

Hi, I have an idea that probably fit this topic instead of created a new one and I don't find any topic about it.

I wonder if it's possible, interesting and not OP to make some melee weapons to deal thermal or electromagnetic damages in addition to their impact/slashing/piercing one? I know that impact damage already does apply corruption, so EM are already here somehow, but what about a laser sword or a flame thrower battleaxe (yeah yeah) for example? Doing thermal plus their base melee damage type. My best run is floor 3 so maybe it's already present later or maybe I have not find any yet, but it looks cool to me, maybe not the flamming battleaxe in a sci-fi universe, but we can easily find ideas that fits the lore!

(Feel free to correct my english)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:25 AM »

You'll definitely start finding more interesting and advanced melee weapons later, though only a very limited number deal non-melee typed damage--just some special cases.

Part of the reason is that (contrary to what you may see in some fantasy games, for example) a single weapon may only deal one type of damage. It would be a bit confusing if a greater number of melee weapons (or any weapons in general) did damage that didn't match their type. Weapon type is supposed to be a relatively straightforward indicator of damage.

That said, there are plans for more special items in the future, items that don't follow the normal design guidelines, so we could see some more special non-melee damage melee weapons in the future.

(Really though, you should get further in the world before making too many suggestions, because you'll find there is already a ton of different features to find out there, with variety increasing greatly the further out you reach!)