Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:51:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Add a chance to have a derelict fabricator in Zion  (Read 1103 times)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Add a chance to have a derelict fabricator in Zion
« on: November 08, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »

(some spoilers follow)

I love the random mini rewards in Zion, and the more variety the better for immersion and replayability.  One possible reward I would like to see is a machine that is a derelict take on the fabricator, allowing you to load schematics for fabrication but without any fail chance or risk of trace/lock out.  The balancing factors would be 1) it would necessarily be on -6 or -7, so you won't have the best schematics; 2) give the machine a finite amount of matter so it can only fabricate so much; and 3) you wouldn't get it every game since it would not always spawn.

This unique reward would allow for the one place in the game where you could have risk-free successful fabbing, a nice perk for combat builds without hacking gear.  In the event that Data Miner is -7 and Zion is -6, this reward would allow combat builds to put some of DM's rewards to use and would create further synergy between the branches (which again which be an infrequent turn of events, since it would depend upon the ordering of the branches, successfully reaching both, and having the fabricator randomly spawn in Zion). 

There is already some precedent for risk free fabbing as a branch reward.  Adding the chance to see this machine in Zion would give you a different take on that and could alter how you plan runs and how runs turn out if you get this reward.  Finally there's little risk of this being too good of a reward, since you can just tweak how much matter the machine has and can therefore fab. 

(Also if the title is too spoilery let me know and I'll change it).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Add a chance to have a derelict fabricator in Zion
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:20:35 PM »

Hm... the idea of adding limited risk-free fabbing somewhere sounds quite interesting, though lore-wise I don't think Zionites should have it. I'll add risk-free fabbing as a possibility, though it would be a rather lot of work to implement something like that because it would go against a lot of the current fabrication system assumptions.

There are other random benefits that'll definitely make it into Zion later, though, and probably in other cave areas.

(And don't worry about spoilers you already have a warning at the beginning so that's fine!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 04:03:17 AM »

Sounds really cool :thumbsup:

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:02:00 AM »

Glad the idea has some appeal!  I'm sure it'd take a lot of finagling, but it'd be a cool reward.  If it doesn't belong in Zion, I'm sure there are other places it could go (possibly a new small branch off of -6 / -5 full of fabs, with the special fabricator behind a sealed door. or guarded in some other way).