Grid Sage Forums

• April 25, 2024, 06:10:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Borderlandesque Rando. Parts.  (Read 877 times)

TheJournier

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Borderlandesque Rando. Parts.
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »

So I was thinking. This game would be great if it had something like borderlands with randomization. Now it's cool you have a "standard", which is used by all the NPCs, and well almost every part that is Standard. However I was thinking this could be applied to prototypes more than anything else.

You could have a naming scheme like (Prot. "type name" "####") Where you have type which determines is class/sound/effects/damage type.... and number serial which determines lvl and stats.

So you'd have for example "Prot. Pulse Cannon 3453" which may be slightly different from "Prot. Pulse Cannon 3342" you found somewhere else. Really the only way you would replicate the guns is though fabrication.

Just a thought, may be too much work etc.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Borderlandesque Rando. Parts.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:12:21 PM »

Yeah I like the approach where items are static and "learnable."

It'd be kind hard to fit random items into the many systems that involve parts, even as rare/special items not used by other bots.

More importantly, a randomized item system should really be built in from the ground up as a central element of the game, as in Borderlands, rather than tacked on.

Cogmind makes up for lack of randomization with a very large set of carefully balanced hand-crafted items, and as you get further (and deeper into the branches) you'll see just how many options there are :). However, we're still going to get more items down the line, including even more unique items.

I prefer this approach over simple randomization, which honestly is more about just changing numbers than having truly interesting differences between items. The latter is achieved via additional abilities that cannot be randomized. So I'd rather put effort towards developing these abilities!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »

I like the approach in Cogmind. TOME, for instance, has loads of randomised items, but it's hellish trying to sort through them trying to find what you want, and there are terribly marginal differences between a lot of items resulting in a lot of wasted time spent making decisions.

The Cogmind way means items can be learned, and then you don't need to examine them - you know them just by their name, so you can make split second decisions. And there are lots of items to find.

TheJournier

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:10:55 AM »

I prefer this approach over simple randomization, which honestly is more about just changing numbers than having truly interesting differences between items. The latter is achieved via additional abilities that cannot be randomized. So I'd rather put effort towards developing these abilities!

Hey man you do you. If you feel up to making loads of unique items in terms of feel/design. It is safe to say I am your fan, I think I would follow any game you make... real talent here.

I like the approach in Cogmind. TOME, for instance, has loads of randomised items, but it's hellish trying to sort through them trying to find what you want, and there are terribly marginal differences between a lot of items resulting in a lot of wasted time spent making decisions.

The Cogmind way means items can be learned, and then you don't need to examine them - you know them just by their name, so you can make split second decisions. And there are lots of items to find.

Addressing concerns with that I stated here. Yeah, I think you should have standard parts basically "core" designs that are mass produced. They aren't considered prototypes, they are gear and equipment found 80% of the time off of machines you kill and most transports/rooms. So, guided munitions "missles", volley weapons, lazers etc. will all have very standard unique characteristics. models that are not random, and very consistent. My thought was an icing on the cake for prototypes you would scan to find their function/design etc. my thought was it added to how prototypes work in my brain. 1 or 2 are made with very unique stats (maybe not so unique function), and you have to produce more of them through fabricator.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:18:22 AM »

Hey man you do you. If you feel up to making loads of unique items in terms of feel/design.
I am extremely interested in doing this and have accumulated a long list of possibilities, some inspired by the community and others of my own design :)

It's just a matter of time and planning. I only have so much time and there are other priorities, especially as content like that is considered optional given what we already have to play with. (There are many cool things to discover out there already, get to it!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

TheJournier

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 02:34:23 AM »

I noticed, particularly with the derelicts... have interesting range 20 energy weapons which you hardly ever see.