Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 03:17:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Return after a long absence  (Read 855 times)

Dullahan

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Return after a long absence
« on: October 19, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »

First, congratulation on the steam release.

(bunch of spoilers about things in the caves and -1)

Without further ado, here is my little story, I regret not taking any screenshots, I was lost in the moment, forgot about it.

So after barely touching the game since, I think, alpha 11 I'm back into it, with the freetime to actually play.
Figured I'd get my feet wet again and dig for patchnotes, the manual or some up to date guide after a couple runs.
My first two runs were as expected of a returning player who forgot the little he used to know, I died, fast.

Now my third run, this is a completely different story.
I was lucky, very lucky, I managed to find good thrusters and sensors early, they carried me very far, farther than I ever did (-4 was my previous record).
I remembered Zion and wanted to see it again, poke around for old and new things then rejoice in the glory of combat and die to demolisher.
Instead I found the data miner, Got some good pieces of info and my interest in the lore was rekindled.

Sadly this is where things started to go badly for me, I was ambushed right on top of the stairs shortly after, managed to fly away thanks my thrusters with minimal damages.
In my urge to stop getting fired at by angry robots I took some bad turn and ended in front of another group, good sensors are not much help when you are surrounded.
Still, I escaped with a few loss here and here but I had enough spare to mitigate it. Found the stairs, got the hell out of dodge.
Back in the factory things got from bad to worse, I lost my weapons in another firefight (is it still a firefight if I'm just flying away?).

At this time I realised, I was on -4, this is as far as I ever got, my goal changed, now I wanted to go as far as possible.
Something else came to light, the lion share of my evolutions were on utilities, to accommodate a large amount of sensors.
I probably looked like a flying mess of antennas, radar dishes and telescopes.
I had one power slot, barely any weapon, fragile propulsion.
All around me were literal killing machines, armed with wall piercing weapons and probably all kind of scary things I know nothing about.
I was so very much outgunned. Still, I pushed, each time I was forced into a fight the result was the same, ran away, traded some damage for a tiny little bit of time.
But it worked, I was in research, badly damaged, low on parts but still alive, still flying.
I kept pushing, my only goal was to find the stairs, Main-C could keep his secrets, I wanted out, I was so close.

Then I made it, -1/ Access
I flew, as fast as I could, the exit is here, somewhere, I just have to find it.
I was down to a single visual unit, no more flying spy satellite.
And suddenly, after closer and closer calls with termination I saw it, the exit, by Shodan it was beautiful.
then I saw the guards, then my pursuers.
I had nothing, they had everything, I dodge, I fly, there is still hope, I'm so close, I just need a little more.

One slug too many hit my core.

--
I'm very happy to be back, glad to see the game doing well and after a few more runs, my thirst for lore is even more present.
Apologies if things in my write-up look weird, English isn't my first language.

score
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Return after a long absence
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:18:45 AM »

Welcome back, Dullahan! An excellent writeup and I think you'll like what we've done to the place ;)

So close to the end! Almost got to see your first animated ending there, but there'll be time for that later.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon