Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:59:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: When sneaking stops working  (Read 1363 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
When sneaking stops working
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:36:11 AM »

So, I snuck (or was railroaded) into a place which it would have been better not to since I couldn't sneak out again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Score sheet:

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: When sneaking stops working
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 06:39:20 PM »

Ooh, Joshua is finding his way into more dangerous places :)

But yeah once you make it in there the "sneaking game" is mostly over! There are still ways to stealth/speed your way out, but the general reason to visit there is to... you know. And that means being prepared for serious fights.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:41:21 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:28:58 AM »

But yeah once you make it in there the "sneaking game" is mostly over! There are still ways to stealth/speed your way out, but the general reason to visit there is to... you know. And that means being prepared for serious fights.

I do know (I think!) but I still haven't figured out the combat game. Considering GJ has spent 10 times as much time playing as I have (based on scoresheets) I might not ever have the time to figure it out, either - looking forward to the new and improved combat guides that other people are posting.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:38:23 AM »

I imagine we'll see some post-end-game combat guides eventually. They'll be super spoilery, but yeah some players won't have to time to come up with these things on their own :P

Combat-wise, probably the easiest way to deal with
Spoiler: Command tip (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »

I imagine we'll see some post-end-game combat guides eventually. They'll be super spoilery, but yeah some players won't have to time to come up with these things on their own :P]

Haha, I can't even get past Factory with combat, post-end-game is way more than I was hoping for. :)

I suspect the better players have learned to recognize patterns in the map layout and patrol routes that I haven't, because about half the time I seem to stumble into armies of bots that just keep coming until poor Cogmind disintegrates into a pile of screws and bolts. I think I understand local positioning (doors and hallways) but not positioning in terms of strategic areas of an overall map (e.g. are they signs you can use to recognize that a garrison is near, and dispatching patrols, besides the enemies you're fighting calling for reinforcements?)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »

You're right, Joshua. Strategic positioning is a big part of the game, but it's very hard to explain or talk about properly. It's almost like something you must learn through experience. However, garrisons are sneaky no matter how much you learn about the game.