Cogmind > Ideas

Part type targeting

(1/3) > >>

Joshua:
Perhaps something like this already exists (my gallery is not complete), but what about a processor utility (or two) that would let you target certain types of parts (weapons or propulsion)? It should probably be easier to get than the better core analyzers / armor integrity analyzers but would enable a different tactic of intentionally shooting off weapons, or shooting off propulsion and running away, which I don't know of a way to intentionally do now.

Kyzrati:
This is something intentionally left out of the game, as it would be too easy to cheese (or be so restricted it wouldn't be fun or useful anyway).

Still, we could try to experiment with something like this later (or--a better option--make it a very specialized and rare part so that it can still be good and fun when you acquire it without unbalancing everything as it could if it were more common).

(I've added it to my "special list of fun things to look at adding later under special conditions" :P)

Joshua:
If it was 100% chance to hit that part type first, I agree that it would be OP (disable robots with no effect on alert level). I was thinking it would be a smaller effect, adjusting the coverage weighting so that you have +10% or +20% chance to hit that part type as opposed to others - enough to make running away sometimes possible without making it guaranteed. Or perhaps an X% chance to hit that category regardless of coverage, with a fall back to the normal coverage calculation.

If it still needs to be rare or hard to get, perhaps it could come only on some of the special robots that are dispatched when the alert level is higher. (I haven't even seen high alert, I easily die when alert gets to level 2 already.)

Kyzrati:
Oh sure I wasn't thinking about 100%, either, just that it's hard to settle on a percent that would really matter in a general sense.

The thing about Cogmind combat is that it's not as nuanced or prolonged for that to matter, at least not in a one-on-one sense. (As opposed to something like BattleTech, for example, which is where many inspirations originated.) You're generally fighting groups of robots, and individual robots die pretty quickly, so craftily disabling them doesn't seem like the most effective strategy unless it's going to be reliable. And if it's at all reliable it'll be OP.

(On that note, this same concept is also what's making a good robot hacking system difficult to design as well--the current placeholder system is slated to be replaced.)

I mean sure it could be a fun part to use, but I don't think optimizers would want to use something like this, assuming it was balanced "fairly" against everything else. That's how I make the determination that this is the sort of effect which can be difficult to acquire, but quite good if and once you do have it.

As for rare items, there are some more special sources of such items to come in the future, as part of the expanded content I'd like to add down the line as long as there's enough time and funding.

zxc:
I agree with Kyzrati. Even though it's a cool idea, I don't think it would work well in Cogmind. Plus, it would complicate the interface a good deal, so it would have to be extra good to be worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version