Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 01:29:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: To Evolve or to Explore?  (Read 9144 times)

Baltazar

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
To Evolve or to Explore?
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:16 AM »

Hey all, been struggling so far getting out of the first 1-4 levels. I've tried a couple of different ways, but somehow I always seem to be forced into "find big gun // stand ground" mode.

Here's what I was wondering from you all:

Once you get out of the scrap heap and begin level one, do you a) Run up the stairs as soon as you can so as to evolve and get two more expansion slots on Cogmind, or do you b) Take your time and explore the first level to find those perfect modules to fit to Cogmind before moving on?

I've been trying to do a lot more exploring before moving on, but I'm not sure it's working out so well for me. Obviously, Cogmind's power increases quite rapidly with more expansion bays, and it seems like the longer I spend on any given level the likelier it is that reinforcements are called and I get mobbed horribly.

So how about it? Do you always aim for faster evolutions?

~Balt~

WeberO

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • One more run...
    • View Profile
Re: To Evolve or to Explore?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »

I usually like to try and evolve once or twice as fast as I can, within reason, Just to get and extra weapon and utility slot, and then an extra power and another weapon slot. I find myself drawing a lot of attention so I really like to be able to launch a volley of gunfire towards the swarming bots. I just stood my ground against a mix of aprox. 10-15 mercanaries and pests, and even a few defenders.

brevous

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »

I've played enough now that I typically rush through the first two floors fairly quickly. I hit up all terminals I find, and pick up any cool items, but I don't do any thorough exploration. My main goals on the first two floors are to find an inventory expander and an improved targeting module. From there, I just keep on picking up everything I can, swap out what I need to, and start judging how I'm going to continue evolving.

First two evolutions are typically Power+Weapons, then Utility+Weapons if I am not going for a hardcore stealth game.

Draxis

• Unaware
  • Also known as Dessard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »

I pretty much always try to evolve as soon as possible, exploring only the rooms right around level stairs once they're found.  Which slots I level depends, but it's pretty much always 1 or 2 propulsion within the first few levels.

Baltazar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »

I'm quickly finding the benefits in a couple of rapid evolutions.

I've been going Utility + Weapons x2, but now that I've evolved a few more times I think I will definitely start hitting up Power and Propulsion a little earlier. Nice to be able to move quickly and reliably even if I tend to be the stand and fight type - not to mention that I'm finally getting the fact that more propulsion = lighter propulsion mods carrying all my heavy weaponry.

ozymandias79

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »

In the scrapyard I often destroy a few of the collectors and excavators to get some extra parts extra storage can be helpful. quick evolutions Utility+Propulsion, Utility+Weapons. So hard to resist the urge for destruction when you get serious fire power. I usually die in a hail of bullets knee deep in enemy robots. 

Morlock

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
  • I always choose the purple pill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »

Hi. New player (~5-6 runs) and first post. Do we have a choice as to when evolutions happen? Otherwise, what are the conditions for them to happen?
If brute force doesn't work, use MORE BRUTE FORCE!!!1

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:04:53 PM »

Welcome Morlock! I hope you're having fun so far.  :)

what are the conditions for them to happen?

You've probably noticed that when you enter the stairs, sometimes you'll get to evolve immediately, and at other times, you don't get to evolve. When you do evolve, you've climbed to the next floor into the next main area. If you don't, welcome to the branch. Although you're entering an area within the same floor and don't get to evolve yet, you may see some cool stuff there.  8)

To see whether you're in the main area or branch, press the backspace button to open up the world map. Branch areas always go sideways from the last room you visited.

Do we have a choice as to when evolutions happen?

You don't get to choose which stairs lead to what place (next floor's main area, yes you'll evolve; if branch, no you won't). When you hover your mouse over the stairs, you may see question marks which means it's unknown to you. However, there are various ways to identify them, and when you do, you'll see the actual location name instead.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:00:18 PM by DDarkray »

Morlock

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
  • I always choose the purple pill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 04:09:52 PM »

Thanks. I had the feeling it was something like that but I didn't know exactly what it was.

What are some of the ways to identify stairs? I guess there is Access(Main/Branch) and some device combinations?
If brute force doesn't work, use MORE BRUTE FORCE!!!1

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

There aren't a lot of ways to identify them. Using signal interpreter is probably the most reliable way to do that. Watchers carry that around, so you need a good way to kill it.

Stilgar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »

Doesn't it depend on what you're presented with?
Empty? Run up the stairs.

Lots of goodies, stick around and hunt.
Allow me to edit and add, I was down to 90 in my Core, no matter etc. I felt great making the stairs.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:03:25 PM by Stilgar »