Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:36:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Post-run graphs.  (Read 1157 times)

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Post-run graphs.
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »

Some games (i.e. Civ 5) at the end show you not only cumulative stats, but also how they changed during your game in the form of graphs.

I thought it'd be cool to see how my influence changed over time or where my 'damage dealt' spiked and by how much, etc.

PS. I believe that currently Cogmind tracks only the max numbers or the sums, so it can print them in the scoresheets. Graphs would require saving stats in regular intervals (i.e. every 100 turns it saves my influence (average over 100 turns), how much damage I dealt in those 100 turns, ...). Or, rather than choosing an arbitrary number of turns, you could dynamically adapt the interval length, so that all runs have, say, 100-200 data points.

b_sen

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Re: Post-run graphs.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:12:07 PM »

This would be fun to have!  Since Cogmind has very distinct regions, we might also want the graphs to indicate progress through the game world; perhaps changing line color as the world map does?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:36:47 PM »

Yeah this would be neat, but isn't something the current system can reasonably do. It would be much easier to approach after changing the score format, which has always been towards the end of the road map (and still is). That alone is going to take quite some doing, but even then, having a way to show all this extra data would be a lot of work! Not sure how valuable that is compared to all the other possible features...

In any case, I've filed it under the score format revamp notes for later reference.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:39:51 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Raine

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Kyzrati Patron Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 10:47:40 PM »

I'd be happy with just a "#" equivalent from crawl which is basically "pretend game has ended and print what the current scoresheet would look like at this point to file". Unless it's listed somewhere I'm unaware of it's very hard to keep track of achivements that require certain miletones to be hit e.g. x damage with weapon type, x bots killed etc. etc. This would allow the more hardcore players to build their own level by level graphs comparisons and graphs without too much effort development wise. Also verbosity options for the HTML log. The turn numbers are wonderful but I believe it only shows players picking up/dropping items, and not what they have actually equipped? Combat log in there would be nice as well. Despite it's oddities it'd be better than the current ~25% of lines that are just informing of things being penetrated by anonymous slugs.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 07:32:17 AM »

Although they're not graphs, per se, the new scoresheets coming to Cogmind contain tons of data, including per-map values for most stats in chart form. This makes it possible to see changes over time, and will really help understand a lot more about how runs are truly progressing! I talk about this and more in the latest series of articles I've started on the blog, "Building the Ultimate Roguelike Morgue File."

We also have mid-run stat dumps, as mentioned by Raine (which I'll be covering in more detail in a later part of the series).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon