Grid Sage Forums

• April 18, 2024, 06:45:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Proposed in-manual list of "survival tips"  (Read 7134 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Proposed in-manual list of "survival tips"
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:56:17 PM »

Edit: Cogmind has undergone significant expansion in the years since this thread, and even some rebalancing, but the tips remain more or less the same! There were a few typos and small adjustments, and I've made another thread to keep a reference specifically to the Survival Tips as they exist in the current manual, to conveniently link from the wiki and elsewhere.

Starting with the next release, I'm adding a "Survival Tips" section towards the beginning of the manual. It's basically a collection of important and useful strategies that some players are slow to learn and therefore have trouble getting past the early game. I've compiled it from other guides and simply the kinds of things that we find ourselves repeating to new players a lot. After new players die a few times, on starting a new run the tutorial messages will point out that this in-game guide exists, and repeatedly remind them each time until they actually go open it :P

The current content is as follows. Any opinions? Suggestions?

(As of Beta 2.2 this is included in the in-game manual, and I'll be leaving it here for reference as well.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
 Survival Tips
-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you're having trouble surviving the early floors, below is a collection of spoiler-free beginners tips that will greatly improve your effectiveness.

Note some of these tips can and will be ignored by advanced players for various reasons, and you'll eventually be discovering your own play style and strategies, but in general terms they apply for new players and will help get you past early-game areas to the real challenges and fun stuff!

Items
-------
Prefer higher-rating parts. At first the number of parts will seem overwhelming, especially if you feel the need to compare every detail to decide which you want to keep or use. While the item stat comparison info will help here (seen as red/green numbers after opening info for two items in a row), if you're having trouble deciding between two items or don't want to examine all the stats, there's a much faster method: Just compare their ratings. Ratings appear near the top of item info, and also as a number displayed next to the item name in the on-map labels, making it fairly easy to get a general idea of whether an item is worth it without even opening the info page. Prototypes, indicated with a *, are better than regular items of the same rating.

Builds
--------
Legs are the best form of starter propulsion. They move fast enough, have a relatively high integrity, and you can salvage spares off enemy grunts fairly easily. Avoid using wheels if possible. And generally avoid mixing propulsion, since you can't activate multiple types at once, anyway.

The safest first evolution is two propulsion slots, since an extra two legs will help block shots, and you won't have any problems carrying any amount of mass you want. If you're running out of propulsion parts to fill your slots, temporarily keep even deactivated propulsion attached (especially legs and treads), because they don't count against movement but can block shots. For later evolutions pick whatever you want, except Power is not usually necessary until you find yourself frequently running low on energy.

Almost all robots have static loadouts, therefore if you're looking for certain parts to put together or maintain the kind of build you want, one approach is to hunt down robots you know to use them. For example, Watchers carry sensors, and Sentries use treads and armor.

Inventory Management
----------------------
Keep a full inventory whenever possible! Even if you don't need surplus parts right away, before long you'll need replacements as yours are destroyed. There are usually parts lying around, especially after a battle, and since inventory contents do not count against movement or have any other negative side effects, leaving it partially empty is an unnecessary waste.

Also don't leave empty part slots when possible, because filling them, even with parts you don't need or won't use, will at least help block incoming fire and protect your core.

One of the safer ways to play is to carry at least one Storage Unit, preferably a larger one, to allow for carrying more spare parts in inventory. Make sure you have an extra power source and weapons, and probably spare propulsion, too. The 't' key, or button under your inventory, is useful for type-sorting your inventory to help ensure that you have the right amount and types of spares.

Combat
--------
Avoid unnecessary combat. It's fun to shoot everything, but until you have a better grasp of the consequences, and how to excel at combat, fighting too much only puts you at a disadvantage. That said, once you've engaged enemies in combat, try not to run as you'll probably end up running into more enemies and the situation will continue escalating.

Positioning is extremely important. At the start of combat against multiple enemies, reposition to a less-exposed position, preferably diagonal to the inside of a doorway, or a narrow corridor that can serve as a bottleneck. It's even worth taking damage in the process of repositioning, as you would likely take even more damage continuing a fight from a bad location. Fighting in the open is dangerous when not properly equipped to do so, but if you have a launcher, then by all means do it in the open!

Retreating to fight in more isolated areas also has the advantage of avoiding additional patrols that might happen upon a battle in progress. Even when not in combat, hugging walls while moving is a good way to stay less exposed and make access to nearby doors and corridors easier when necessary.

Attach replacement parts even in the middle of battle, in order to better protect your core from damage, and stay at maximum effectiveness. Attaching and swapping parts is a quick action.

Other Robots
--------------
Shoot at Scavengers once and they'll go away. Sometimes this is a good idea even in the middle of combat, if you want to have any loot left to salvage when it's over.

If a Watcher doesn't send out an alert, that means there are no enemies coming, otherwise be prepared!

Destroying Haulers might provide you with relatively powerful parts to attach. Other non-hostile bots are also good targets to salvage if you're low on parts or need spares to fill your inventory. They won't be good, but you never want to be without a backup power source, for example.

Hacking
---------
Hacking machines is not too important for beginners, but as you start to get into it, be aware that if you are fully traced it's likely more units will be dispatched to that area to investigate. If you don't want company, always quit hacking a machine before the trace ends! Being initially "detected" is fine, so you can always safely hack a new machine until at least that point.

Difficulty
------------
Lowering the difficulty setting is not likely to help teach fundamental strategies, but an alternative approach would be to set a manual seed (in the options menu) to some phrase, and repeatedly play the same world to focus on getting the hang of the mechanics, rather than dealing with so many unknowns. When you feel more confident, turn off the manual seed.

(This approach is not recommended right away. Instead, consider it after having read the other tips and tried to apply them in regular random worlds.)

More Info
-----------
For other tips, bother spoiler-free and otherwise, see the Strategy section of the forums. Links to more resources will continue to be added there in the future.

In the end, know that once you're familiar with all the mechanics and possible strategies, Cogmind is not a heavily luck-based game, and skilled players streak wins repeatedly.

Spoiler: old version 1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 10:02:16 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Shadowfury333

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed in-manual list of "survival tips"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »

How do partial traces affect squad dispatches? I almost never let the trace complete, but I often let detection happen and then bail mid-trace. Is that still hazardous to my health?

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »

@Shadowfury333 : Partial traces have no impact on squad dispatches. The only time they dispatch squads w.r.t terminal interactions is when you allow the trace to complete and lock the terminal out.

The tips seem solid. Maybe mention that you can get out of depth loot by killing haulers? Getting your hands on stuff like imp. EM shotguns, adv. beam cannons and imp. assault rifle almost trivializes Materials when combined with the choke strategy.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »

RE: Tracing.

I guess I should change the wording a bit to make it 100% clear? In an earlier version it referred to avoid being "fully traced."

And unfortunately it used to be as simple as saying they would dispatch a squad if you're fully traced, but that's no longer true since there's a less than 100% chance in the earlier floors, a change made specifically to help beginners and be a little more lenient on the early-game hacking. So I had to write it as "it's likely."

Technically there is a log message any time there's a resulting dispatch, but not everyone notices that...

Maybe mention that you can get out of depth loot by killing haulers?
I'm not sure attacking non-hostile bots should be recommended for beginners. With respect to Haulers, the loot is good, but before long some will call in reinforcements.

Though on that thought, I wonder if it's worth adding an explicit comment about attacking non-combat bots to get an engine or propulsion in an emergency when there's nothing else around? That's a situation I've seen a lot of new players in (actually, I end up that way, too :P), and salvaging a non-combatant can often mean the difference between life or death...

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »

You can mention that killing haulers is a high risk/high reward strategy and then transition into saying that civilians would call for help under certain conditions. (I mean, they will learn this before long when they attack engineers). I think the hauler loot would help a lot of beginners. The time-to-kill goes down significantly when you get your hands on some of those weapons. The imp. shotgun, especially.

Lot of beginner deaths are a due to bad items/poor positioning so telling them how to get better items would be useful. Positioning takes a while to learn. There are micro-details about the AI that you won't actually learn until you watch it happen over sensors. For instance, all enemies actually behave like watchers (i.e alert nearby enemies) on top of being able to DPS. That isn't obvious and you would be puzzled for a while wondering why a simple fight with a sentry snowballed into something horrendous.

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »

From what I've seen in a couple of Let's Play, some players believe that when you're starting to get traced (at 0%), the enemies are coming. There's actually no consequence at getting 0%, so I would say that it's safe to keep hacking. Once your trace progress is over 0%, you can choose to jack out to be safe.

I think it's ok to mention about killing neutral bots such as excavators and serfs if you're not in danger and have some empty inventory slots. That way, you can get some parts like power source, propulsions and utilities (which reinforces your statement of having full inventory and equipment slots whenever possible).

It would be ok to mention that on later evolution, upgrading weapon and utility slots are ok too, but you generally don't upgrade your power slot until you're starting to have trouble with energy upkeep.

Instead of saying "don't use wheels", you can say something like "avoid wheels when there are other propulsions out there". That way, it would be ok to pick them up as backups... (But then, that probably rarely happens)

Note some of these tips can and will be ignored by advanced players for various reasons

I personally prefer to say something like, "As you gain more experience, you may ignore some of these tips".

I like how you labeled scavengers as "enemies".  :D

Maybe mention that you can get out of depth loot by killing haulers? Getting your hands on stuff like imp. EM shotguns, adv. beam cannons and imp. assault rifle almost trivializes Materials when combined with the choke strategy.

I agree that these awesome items are very powerful, but it can cause the players to focus too much on chasing down the hauler (which isn't very easy to kill) before finding themselves in a terrible position. It's also probably not that important to a beginner because it doesn't guarantee a good loot.

It might also be a good idea to mention something about the operator. When the operator spots you and it calls down a reinforcement, it would be a good idea to stay away from that area or prepare to fight.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:14:26 PM by DDarkray »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »

Okay, I've made updates to the Tips based on all the feedback.

Instead of saying "don't use wheels",
Funnily enough, wheels are no longer super terrible in next week's 2.2 ;)

(But I'm still going to recommend against beginners using them.)

I like how you labeled scavengers as "enemies".  :D
The most dangerous kind... the ones that are inconspicuously green and don't even carry guns!

I feel the Hauler tip is a little borderline, for beginners at least. DDarkRay makes a good point there, too. They're kinda dangerous to mess with until you know what you're doing (plus it might be for nothing).

For now I've added a comment in the new version, though, just to see how it looks...

It might also be a good idea to mention something about the operator. When the operator spots you and it calls down a reinforcement, it would be a good idea to stay away from that area or prepare to fight.
I wonder how necessary this is... The log will say they've called reinforcements, and while it's true there are more details to learn about how that works (that they come to the area, not necessarily you), this kind of information might be something to leave to them figuring out? In Materials a beginner is very likely to run into the reinforcements anyway, because there aren't as many pathways to get away, and the map is smaller so they'll arrive pretty quickly.

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 06:29:00 AM »

Funnily enough, wheels are no longer super terrible in next week's 2.2 ;)

No way, wheels are getting buffed?? :O
Looks like wheel build is becoming more viable.

I wonder how necessary this is...

I guess it isn't necessary. Pretty easy to figure out.

Any mention about branches, specifically the Mines? I'm not sure what's the survival rate down there, but I can guarantee that the Assembly encounter will almost always wreck any beginners.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »

Wheel builds will definitely be viable now--they've got their own niche and everything :)

Sure in Alpha the Mines would be something to warn against, but they're not so bad anymore. Getting potentially wrecked by a single encounter is fine in the beginning of a roguelike, and even more good stuff than bad can come out of the Mines now--I wouldn't want to steer new players away from the first interesting encounters, ally experiences, the Zion shortcut...

DDarkray

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 08:25:28 AM »

Wheel builds will definitely be viable now--they've got their own niche and everything :)
YEZZZ!!!

For the Assembled event, I'm wondering if it's better to place it near the exit, instead of the entrance point (which tends to happen all the time for me). That way, you'll still guarantee to encounter it, but you'll have some time to rebuild yourself before it happens.

Shadowfury333

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »

I know this is kinda the opposite, but maybe putting in a section about "when you've died and don't know it yet" so that new players know to just restart from a losing position, rather than spending 500-1000 turns desperately looking for some pile of parts to save them, and then dying even more frustrated because they didn't get lucky (I've gotten lucky this way once out of at least 6 or 7 runs where I lost everything around -7 or -6 Lower Caves, and I was in the Lower Caves because I'm still not sure where Factory->Factory exits tend to be).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:55:47 PM by Shadowfury333 »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »

I think such a point is too hard to define to be of enough use for a new player, since aside from the obvious "I have no parts, next to zero core, and am now surrounded by fast movers" you can come back from almost anything. The last full run I saved from a stream included more than one instance in which I was "clearly done for," a point at which most players might want to give up, but even then it was possible to turn it around (and eventually win).

I think the best approach is to just provide tips that reduce the chances of getting into such a position in the first place and let players either figure everything else out on their own, or rely on strategy guides.

(Despite my experience I still end up in those situations myself a fair amount because I enjoy being in them and finding a way out, so I play pretty recklessly :P)