Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 04:06:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: First win  (Read 1194 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
First win
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:07:40 AM »

My first win (stealth, of course).

This wouldn't have been possible without several pieces of luck and spoilers. So the rest of this post contains considerable spoilers.

The first one I don't think should really be a spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Score sheet:

Write-up:

Lessons learned:

I am beginning to appreciate the strategic depth involved in early-mid game decisions. Waiting around on -10 and -9 until you find what you want for your build is usually worth it if you can avoid aggroing too many enemies.
If I sacrifice too many parts from the early build to escape to the next floor I tend to regret it later.

Oddity noted:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: First win
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:00:49 PM »

Congratulations! Not even an optimal stealth slot distribution, but with quite a utility loadout.

The first one I don't think should really be a spoiler
Yeah that's common knowledge and fairly easy to discover. Other than explosives, you can do that with pretty much any melee weapon or non-EM cannon. In fact, for cannon-reliant combat runs that reliability can actually become a problem when you're fighting in close quarters and accidentally blow open lots of walls which let in more hostiles :P

And gotta love those lucky exit finds when you most need it :)

I am beginning to appreciate the strategic depth involved in early-mid game decisions.
Excellent! Though it's not necessary, players who like to go for specific late-game plans definitely tend to start aiming for them very early on. Many branches will make the end game easier, but come with their own risks in the first place.

I think I got the exp. sensor array schematic on -5 (manual hack) but I failed to load it in to 3-4 fabricators on the following floors until -2.
Some hackware is almost always required for anything but the simplest fabrication (though even then you can also just get unlucky :P).

Oddity noted:
Notice that the world map does not draw any unvisited maps at or below your current depth (because there wouldn't always be enough room to display them). They are instead shown in the box at the bottom right when you have your current depth selected--all known-but-unvisited maps for that depth are listed there by letter.

Unvisited maps at depths above your own are listed directly on the world map as normal.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: First win
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »

Nice win!!

Yeah, like Kyzrati said, melee is the preferred weapon of choice for wall busting. The early game katana can chop through pretty much all of the factory walls and it only gets better from there. The only melee weapons that don't help with wall busting are the hammer and the maul (I think).

Hacking/Fabrication is exceptionally strong. There are tons of utilities that can be fabricated that would let you stealth more effectively. Stuff like good terrain scanners/processors and transmission jammers are really strong. If you visit the data miner in the lower caves branch, you don't even need to hack the schematics of those utilities, he gives it to you for free!!

You also don't need to rely on trojan(track). Exp. sig interpreters will let you see all the hunters.

Access is hard if your stealth build is more stealthy but not hacky enough. If you have enough hacking (say +40~60 to offense), you can index(terminals), and that just gives you significant floor control via access to Zion hacks, more access(main) opportunities, more recall opportunities etc etc. You can also layout(zone) to plan your paths more effectively. Without hacking, you probably need a powerful terrain scanner/processor combo along with sensors just so that you can navigate more effectively. By access, you also should have enough slots to stack some armor which buys a lot more time.

Some of the stuff from Quarantine nearly guarantees escape, like the ones that you used. Matter drive is also really good.

"I am beginning to appreciate the strategic depth involved in early-mid game decisions. Waiting around on -10 and -9 until you find what you want for your build is usually worth it if you can avoid aggroing too many enemies."

My favorite thing to do in materials is to kill haulers, get the transport network coupler and stack 3 lrg storage units and build up for flight transition in factory. It lets you see all the haulers in the map. It almost guarantees that you will end up solid flight units before factory rather than relying on swarmer crap.