Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:01:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #90 [Beta 2.1] [Seed: CooledParticleCannon]  (Read 1798 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #90 [Beta 2.1] [Seed: CooledParticleCannon]
« on: July 26, 2017, 07:10:39 AM »

This week's seed: CooledParticleCannon

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: CooledParticleCannon] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #90 [Beta 2.1] [Seed: CooledParticleCannon]
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:04:43 PM »

Aaahhh, strategic miscalculation :P

Died on -4 because I decided not to take the exit I found early on, instead running all over the Factory floor looking for a way straight up (randomly, without actually focusing on proper stair discovery methods xD)

I didn't stream this one because I couldn't find an opportunity when my son wasn't around and others might be around to watch (he was out in the afternoons instead of morning). We also had a typhoon that knocked out the power (and another one the night after that!).

But it was a pretty different run for me because for the first time my son actually decided to sit down for several chunks of it and got interested. (Before this he'd just seen a few gifs.) I was explaining how all the rules worked, what different robots were doing, and about the tactical circumstances I was finding myself in... He even came up with some proper strategies! That was rather surprising, hearing him suggest that I do something that even other beginner (adult) players don't necessarily realize.

It was kinda like a private stream for an audience of one :P

This time I intentionally sought out Zion for the imprinting, which I haven't done for a while. Left in great shape.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was certainly feeling confident here, with this build that can annihilate almost anything. Was pretty awesome for a while--one volley = one scrapped bot.

On -4 I found the exit quickly, but it was caves and I decided to keep exploring. After all, I was in okay shape and had quite a lot of explosives :D

Overall my build was pretty weird, though, a combat bot often using lots of different infowar parts.

This particular corridor in -4 was what wore me down. It was pretty obvious that was going to happen, but I can't help myself--forge ahead! (into repeated squads...)

Died in this room after a bit :(
I did take out the Hunter by stabbing it to death, but was so slow that it beat me up pretty badly and my core was almost nothing by the time the programmers and assault ARC came through both doors xD (They were obviously getting really mad at me by this point!)

Still haven't won a Beta 2 run! Two extremely close calls in the previous runs, and then this--oops. All were obvious mistakes though... (and for some reason every time I go with Zion I end up getting my butt kicked even worse! Warlord, on the other hand...)

Spoiler: Score: 18,109 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:37:57 AM »

As usual, I'm a bit late to the party, but it takes me a LONG time to get through these runs. Between family, work, and school, I'm lucky to get an hour or two of playtime a week.

That being said, this was my best run yet!  ;D

From close to the beginning, I was running treads as my propulsion, and I remember seeing a TON of storage, and wanted to try to take advantage of it. Treads and EM carried me through both the lower and upper caves as I visited Zion and got imprinted and (for the first time ever) met Warlord! The Warlord - Imprinter story is really interesting and I'm hoping to get to WL without being imprinted sometime soon. Warlord was attacked, but I managed to escape in the chaos. I made significant use of Zion reinforcements, but the Research areas were rough, in the end, I just booked it to the exit to reach Access. From there I pretty much just ran from terminal to terminal summoning Zionites as distractions while I tried to escape...it didn't work  :P. Kyz, you mentioned 'proper stair discovery methods', would you care to elaborate?

As always, my runs can be found on my Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChfKrCBdatBePGqB1LsAKuw

Spoiler: Score= 17,494 (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 07:14:31 PM »

Wow, long run, and almost a win! I wanted to see how the last floors went down for you, but I guess you didn't upload those parts? (Needed to get through them more quickly to try to keep up, eh? :P Streaming/recording does slow things down...)

Kyz, you mentioned 'proper stair discovery methods', would you care to elaborate?
I just wandered around, hoping to run into the stairs, which is leaving it up to luck, and the maps are so large that a lack of luck can kill non-fast bots. I didn't even rely on proper strategy for that approach, because honestly I did find an exit, and plenty early on, but it was to the caves and I decided to look around more for a different exit. One can't be choosy if using the "randomly luck into exits" method! So that was my fault.

"Proper methods" would mean mostly hacking or terrain scanning, and sometimes Zion intel if available (but that one can come down to luck as well, so it's not as reliable).

I actually had a bunch of hackware in my inventory, so I clearly could've played that better, too. I was saving it for Access to do my hacking there (where it's even more important), but, well, I think I need to focus on short-term survival just a bit more xD

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »

Wow, long run, and almost a win! I wanted to see how the last floors went down for you, but I guess you didn't upload those parts? (Needed to get through them more quickly to try to keep up, eh? :P Streaming/recording does slow things down...)

Yea, it does slow it down a bit, but I've got parts uploading Mon, Wed, Fri till the end. Its a lot easier to edit parts in smaller chunks, plus I can do that while hanging out with my family. Playing, on the other hand...even when I'm not recording, I tend to get a little too into it!

Thanks for the tips on stair discovery, I usually ignore terrain scanners, but now I'll pay a little more attention.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »

Terrain scanners are definitely useful, especially at long ranges. To effectively find stairs you'll want a scan processor as well, but even without one the bits of scattered terrain hints can inform your exploration strategy and help you escape more quickly. Try one out if you find something with decent range.

Playing, on the other hand...even when I'm not recording, I tend to get a little too into it!
Me too :P. I'll start playing to test a new pre-release version for any glaring issues, which only requires playing a map or two, and a couple hours later I'm a dozen maps in, heh.